Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Digi 002r usage question

If I purchase the Digi 002r and a Presonus Digimax. What should I get if I want hands on control of protools by using faders and various things you do with a console? If I got the Digi 002 with the faders, Im guessing you can switch between different tracks at a time since there isnt 32 faders? and I saw that you can use this as a mixer for live situations too, do you only get control of 8 inputs or can you use the presonus digimax as well giving more inputs and switch between these on the digi 002. I realize these questions may not make a lot of sense, but theres a lot I cant figure out from the digidesign website. Thanks for your patience.

Allan
Old 12-07-2003, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Digi 002r usage question

Welcome wiznant. I see you're a new guy. Welcome to the world of digital audio recording. First of all, each one of your questions is answered on the website. And there's even more info on the DUC. Try running a search on the board -- this has all been discussed up the wahzoo.I'll go ahead and answer some of these for you.

First, I hope you understand what you gain out of adding a unit like the Presonus Digimax to your system. You get 8 channels of optical digital input to your system. There are other units out there similar to this one that you may want to check out, specifically the Focusrite Octopre, which I like better for drums.

Yes, the 002 switches from track to track, strafing across the faders in groups of 8 or 1 at a time. Yes you can use it for a live digital mixer, but again, the specific are all already discussed.

If you're looking for something with faders on it that you can control ProTools with, you have a ton of options. There are multiple ways that they can connect to ProTools, via MIDI, firewire, USB, among others. Controlers like the Mackie HUI, Mackie Control, Tascam has some units, among others. You can see a list of some of the compatible controllers by going to the Products Page >> All Products Index >> Control Surfaces.

Ask around, and definitly take the search for a spin. You'll be amazed what you can learn!