Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Post Possible to listen through MBOX 2 mini with headphones? (e.g. winamp & youtube)

Hello

I am very new to all this, I just sat up my MBOX 2 mini and ProTools today. But I'm wondering if it is possible to use the "headphones out" on the front of the mbox, to listen to sounds other than the ones comming from protools? If so that would be great, because then I don't have to plug the headphones in and out of the mbox and my main soundcard all the time :)

I hope you get what I'm talking about, and are able to help me :)

Cheers
Kristian
Old 03-25-2010, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Possible to listen through MBOX 2 mini with headphones? (e.g. winamp & youtube)

Depends on which Operating System you're on. There's the MME Helper for XP which works for pretty much everything but I-tunes. There is no VISTA wave driver, and there's a BETA version of a general-purpose Windows 7 wave driver, but nobody seems to be having much luck with it.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Possible to listen through MBOX 2 mini with headphones? (e.g. winamp & youtube)

Thank you for your answer :)

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit. Do you know where I can get more information about it?

Thanks again
Kristian
Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM

Hi again

I figured it out myself. If anyone else wants to know how, just uninstall the old drivers, and install what's on the bottom on this page http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...40492&langid=1

It is for Windows 7 only

You might have to make it your standard sound output (controlpanel>hardware>sound)

Cheers
Old 03-26-2010, 02:07 PM

I have also found that:

everything (all sounds on my computer) actually plays via the Pro Tools headphone jack - WHEN I have PT plugged into the firewire port (when I start my computer that way). If I turn on my computer & THEN plug PT in, it does not.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:50 PM

Okay, cool.

I've just found out that the sounds gets all crappy after every reboot of the pc, so I have to reinstall the driver every time

I hope they fix it soon..
Old 03-26-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbbajer View Post

I've just found out that the sounds gets all crappy after every reboot of the pc, so I have to reinstall the driver every time
Jesus Christ, at least that's what I thought.. A reinstall doesn't do it, now I can't get it to work at all! Every sound from the computer, including the ones from Pro Tools, sounds all crappy or chuppy I can't really find a word for it. It just sucks, and is unusable.

What the duck man, why can't they make an official Windows 7 driver release at least, and then one for the 64 bit systems also. They now that everybody will be using Win7 soon, and they also should know that a lot of powerfull systems has a 64 bit OS these days, to get the full potential out of their hardware. So fix it, god damned.

Sorry
Cheers.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM

Pro Tools is at this point best run on XP 32bit and with V8.0.1cs1. Then beta driver for W7/64 is just that a beta. It can be made to work with certain hardware changes and tweaks but is of questionable value at this point because XP works so well. If you feel you need W7/64 on your DAW computer then a dual boot will be the ideal the way to go.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM

That's a big issue with the Win7 Beta. Most call it "robotic".
There are threads regarding the bug(s) in this special forum:
Pro Tools 8.0.3 Windows 7 Public Beta
Old 03-26-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO
Pro Tools is at this point best run on XP 32bit and with V8.0.1cs1. If you feel you need W7/64 on your DAW computer then a dual boot will be the ideal the way to go.
Okay, thank you for the information. But that's just not good enough for me, WinXP is 9 years old soon and has two descendants already, it's just to old. And it gets a little to unhandy if I have to alter between two OS' just to be able to use PT. So I hope they will make a fix soon, Win7 is not new anymore, they should have done it a while ago I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40
That's a big issue with the Win7 Beta. Most call it "robotic".
There are threads regarding the bug(s) in this special forum:
Pro Tools 8.0.3 Windows 7 Public Beta
Thank you, useful information