Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Changing MIDI Patch Name Changes All Midi Tracks

I am encountering a problem in PT with midi patch name changing. PT 6.4.1 TDM - Mixplus 888/24 IO

Here's the scenario:

I have two Midi Tracks both assigned to the same Keyboard and Midi Channel Number.
On Track 1, I select "Piano" from the patch name menu and lay down a Piano part. I like it.
On Track 2, I select "Strings" from the patch list. When I do this, the patch name on Track 2 AND Track 1 changes to "Strings".

Now I realize, I can't layback 2 parts on one voice at the same time...but what if I only had one MIDI channel for my device and I wanted to lay down multiple parts individually and still save the patch name with the PT track that it was recorded with.

I essentially want to save the patch name with the track it was recorded on without PT automatically changing the patch name for every MIDI track assigned to the same device/channel.

Anyone have any suggestions/workarounds?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Changing MIDI Patch Name Changes All Midi Tracks

If you could find a way to automate program change on a single channel it would effectively be the same thing
I don't know how you would do this.
The only thing I can think of would be to record each track to audio on seperate passes, not highly satisfactory.
I realise that this doesn't really answer your question about being able to save program change to tracks assigned to the same channel, seperately.
Good luck,
Michael.
and other bits and pieces...
Old 10-31-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Re: Changing MIDI Patch Name Changes All Midi Tracks

Hi,

Just a thought, But rather than using the Program change numbers in the Pro Tools track, try to record the actual program change from the keyboard onto the track with the MIDI data. Leave an extra bar at head for doing this. Then mute the tracks you don't want and play or Tracklay the midi track you want.

Not sure if this will work, but just thinking out aloud.

I think you can also enter PROGRAM CHANGE data manually into a track by selecting the PG Change view and use pencil on each individual MIDI track. This Data will save with the session.

All the Best,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9