Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 10:45 AM

Default How to unsubstantiate Chain Mode?

In past I would separate midi tracks into a VI (e.g., Omnisphere) so only needed one instrument track and feed it through the individual midi tracks. This new MIDI Chain mode does not let me do that. How do I turn this feature off?
Old 03-10-2024, 05:13 PM

Default Re: How to unsubstantiate Chain Mode?

To do multi-channel midi routing with the new system, you need to go to "individual targets" and set the MIDI output for the instrument track with the VI on it to channel 1. Then you can use other instrument or MIDI tracks for other channels of MIDI data to route where you please. I'm honestly finding this new system a bit strange.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 03-11-2024, 05:24 AM

Ok, thanks. I will do it and if I face any issue, I will update you by starting my own thread.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:57 AM

Understand 'What' to do ..... but don't know "How" to do it. I have looked just about everywhere to 'Unchain' ...
Old 03-12-2024, 11:55 AM

You need to set the instrument track in "individual targets" to channel 1.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 03-15-2024, 03:19 AM

Thanks. Again, I totally understand What to do. I have tried for three days to figure out How

I known this seems obvious to you guys - but I can’t figure this out. Btw there is not any mention of this in any help file nor manual that I could find.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:28 PM

No worries! I realize looking at this now i haven't explained very clearly.

I assume you're either trying to use separate old-school MIDI tracks to control and output audio all on an Instrument Track with Omnishpere on it? Or have Omnisphere on a Instrument track and then make more instrument tracks that use both discreet outputs and mici channel data to save processing power in theory and make it easier to mix and effects your sound sources?

To do this if you're using an instrument track, you'll need enable the "Instruments" view in edit window views. This allows you to see MIDI routing for instrument tracks. Then on the instrument track change the MIDI output to Individual Target Channel 1 for the corresponding plugin you've loaded onto that instrument track. Now you are out of Chain Mode. Let me know if that works for you :)
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 03-16-2024, 06:45 AM

S: Thank You. There is literally no mention of this in the documentation anywhere that I could find. I don't remember having to do this before. Very very strange to me.

For those who fall upon this thread here is some detail:

I have an instrument track in Track 1 with Xpand!2 instantiated.
I have four 'instruments' configured in XPand MIDI channels 1 to 4
I would like to have MIDI data on Channel 2 output to the second instrument in XPand
I would like to have MIDI data on Channel 3 output to the third instrument in XPand
I would like to have MIDI data on Channel 4 output to the fourth instrument in XPand

In oder to accomplish separate tracks with MIDI all routing to the individual voices in one Instrument Track I had to:

1. Select the Instrument Track (in my case Track 1 with XPand)
2. From the Top Menu Select: View-Edit Windows Views-Instruments
2a. Or Open up the Track View Options by clicking on the small chevron above the first track in the Edit view and Click ON Instruments
3. Then click on the widget for the Instrument Track's Instrument Output (not the Track Output) and Select Individual Targets (MIDI CH 1 in my case for the example)
4. This allows the output of Tracks 2 thru 4 to now be routed to the Instruments in Track1 with discrete MIDI channels.

I know why this was a problem for me.

On the MIDI tracks you route the Output of the Track on the Track Output widget. On the Instrument Track you Route the MIDI output on the Instrument Widget because the Instrument track output is for the Audio Output of the virtual instrument. Essentially MIDI output appears in two different places in two different types of tracks.

Thanks again Skylar Battles for sticking in there with me

Last edited by DonM; 03-16-2024 at 07:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:37 PM

You're correct! That's because it was simpler before the new system.

Hopefully you find this post helpful as well: Record Enable and Mute Functionality for MIDI vs. Instrument Tracks Explained

Prior to 2024.3 you could just make those 4 tracks and since there was no chain mode, you could just select the bottom three and hold Command Option Shift and select channel 2 of the VI as the instrument track output to cascade the outputs for the other MIDI tracks.

I do wish for a tick box in preferences to make default behavior "individual targets." as there are some specific things with the new system to keep in mind.

Other "guidelines" for chain mode:

1. Virtual instrument must be after MIDI FX
2. To monitor the data through another instrument or print it, you need to set up an additional MIDI or instrument track and set the input to the chain output of the track's data you'd like to use. No way to print the data offline unfortunately.
3. Also "not all virtual instrument plugins support passing the midi chain data" so I could only assume at the present moment this only works for the newest versions of Avid plugins

Request: Can we please have a option in MIDI preferences to maker the default behavior individual target channel 1 one loading a virtual instrument on a instrument track?
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4

Last edited by skylar_battles; 03-16-2024 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 03:02 PM

I just want to turn midi chain mode off.

How? Where?

Or should I just install the last version that didn't have this feature?

The suggestions above are not working with Stylus RMX.

A small request: ALL new features default to OFF.

Best...H