Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2017, 01:34 AM

Default Session with FLAC Files all Files are Offline...

Hi everybody,

I got a PT 12 Session from a collegue from China, and, as the thread title says, all files are offline. I looked in the Audio Files folder, just to find everything is there. But the file format is flac. Is FLAC supported at all?

I´ve been looking in this forum, there are already threads on this topic, but they don´t really answer my question:

Do I have to convert at all? Or is there some magic trick like "save session copy as" where I can just convert the flacs to wav?
PT Reference Guide doesn´t even mention FLAC, so I guess it´s not supported.

Last question: If that´s the case then how did the FLAC files get in there in the first place???

I know it would be clever to go and ask the people who sent the files to me, but unfortunately at the moment it´s not possible to communicate with them directly...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Arne
Old 11-30-2017, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Session with FLAC Files all Files are Offline...

You got yourself a bonafide mystery!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popschutz Studio View Post
Hi everybody,

I got a PT 12 Session from a collegue from China, and, as the thread title says, all files are offline. I looked in the Audio Files folder, just to find everything is there. But the file format is flac. Is FLAC supported at all?

I´ve been looking in this forum, there are already threads on this topic, but they don´t really answer my question:

Do I have to convert at all? Or is there some magic trick like "save session copy as" where I can just convert the flacs to wav?
PT Reference Guide doesn´t even mention FLAC, so I guess it´s not supported.

Last question: If that´s the case then how did the FLAC files get in there in the first place???

I know it would be clever to go and ask the people who sent the files to me, but unfortunately at the moment it´s not possible to communicate with them directly...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Arne
you will need to convert them to Wav files .. not sure you will be able to relink them after but i would try converting One File and see what happens ..

Mac or PC ?? can try this cross platform converter .. https://www.movavi.com/support/how-t...ac-to-wav.html

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-30-2017, 07:21 AM

Thanks for your help!

I learned that audacity can do some sort of batch processing. So that´s the file format problem sorted out. I will convert them into wav and try to convince PT everything´s back to normal...

will post the results....

cheers, arne
Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM

What's weird is that this session couldn't have been made with the Flac files, so the correct wav files exist somewhere.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your help!

I learned that audacity can do some sort of batch processing. So that´s the file format problem sorted out. I will convert them into wav and try to convince PT everything´s back to normal...

will post the results....

cheers, arne
the curious thing will be, what happens to any timestamps and i assume unique ID's are gone ..

and as Drew mentioned where are the Wav files that this session started out with ?? and who's bright idea was it to convert to Flac !!

btw: whats the sample rate / bit depth of this session ??

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-30-2017, 08:39 AM

The session is in 48kHz and 16 bit. Unfortunately I do not know for whatever reason the files where converted. The time stamps and ids really bother me, to add a little tension half of the tracks have Chinese characters

I can only check this properly on Monday, I’ll let you know bout the outcome....
Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
The session is in 48kHz and 16 bit. Unfortunately I do not know for whatever reason the files where converted. The time stamps and ids really bother me, to add a little tension half of the tracks have Chinese characters

I can only check this properly on Monday, I’ll let you know bout the outcome....
wow, yes, very interested to hear the ongoing saga !!!

Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-04-2017, 02:34 PM

Sooo, back from the studio. I managed to relink the files.

Converting with audacity didn’t go as planned, somehow it didn’t want to convert to 24 it, no matter what I tried. I found that this is a limitation of the built in batch processing. Anyways, I followed advice given in this forum and used XLD, which proved to be just perfect.

I learned that the flac conversion in China was done by some mysterious “Assistant “ and that said person also took care of the original wav files. Tsss.

I relinked the files with workspace and about 90 percent relinked automatically via “find candidates”, after I assigned the proper file path.
It was important that I unticked “unique id” so PT just searched for the file name, file type and duration.
I don’t know why, but some of the files (maybe 10%) had to be relinked manually by dragging the matching wave files in the “candidates” area.

Again, thanks for your help. Something learned today.

Cheers, Arne

Edit: BTW, all in all it took me the better part of four hours, so don’t try this at home;0)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Sooo, back from the studio. I managed to relink the files.

Converting with audacity didn’t go as planned, somehow it didn’t want to convert to 24 it, no matter what I tried. I found that this is a limitation of the built in batch processing. Anyways, I followed advice given in this forum and used XLD, which proved to be just perfect.

I learned that the flac conversion in China was done by some mysterious “Assistant “ and that said person also took care of the original wav files. Tsss.

I relinked the files with workspace and about 90 percent relinked automatically via “find candidates”, after I assigned the proper file path.
It was important that I unticked “unique id” so PT just searched for the file name, file type and duration.
I don’t know why, but some of the files (maybe 10%) had to be relinked manually by dragging the matching wave files in the “candidates” area.

Again, thanks for your help. Something learned today.

Cheers, Arne

Edit: BTW, all in all it took me the better part of four hours, so don’t try this at home;0)
well at least they saved a few hundred megabytes of bandwidth on their end! </sarcasm>
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies