How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 AM

Default New to Pro Tools...need help with recording guitar [solved]

First off, hello to everyone...I've read dozens of threads on here and decided to sign up months ago, but this is my first time posting here

I just got & installed PT LE 8 (with MBox 2) on my Macbook yesterday, and like any normal person who gets a new 'toy', I started fiddling around with it after only reading like 30% of the manuals....but even then I already managed to figure out how to basically record vocals and work with MIDI using my synthesizer ...but I'm stuck on guitar though

I've read all the instructions in the Getting Started and Setup guides which are guitar-related, and so far nothing has helped me figure out why I can apparently record notes played on my guitar, yet not actually hear anything through my headphones or monitor speakers (during recording or playback, and I can't hear anything whether record-enable is on or off)

Here's what was already done:

- I started with a blank session
- I'm using a (mono) audio track and not an instrument track
- I selected input-only monitoring
- My guitar is plugged in properly (connected to DI input 2, mono is lit up on front, corresponding DI light on front is on)
- I've turned the Gain control every which way during each attempt....nothing but buzzing noise
- I've turned the Mix and Headphone controls every which way during each attempt....nothing but buzzing noise
- In the Mix window under the I/O section, it says 'In 2' on top and 'Out 1-2' on bottom
- I can see green/yellow moving in the track meter in the Mix window, so I know something's getting through
- I can even see the recorded sound in the Edit window after I recorded my notes....but I can't hear it during playback

What am I doing wrong?

Also, how do you apply effects after recording a clean guitar sound?

Please help....
Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 AM

Default Re: New to Pro Tools...need help with recording guitar

Do you see Waveform in the region? Since you recorded Input monitoring, to order to listen what you recorded, you need to turn off the record button to listen. You can put effects with plugin such as eleven, amplitube etc.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM

Default Re: New to Pro Tools...need help with recording guitar

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I figured it out....apparently the cord for my guitar was faulty and I had to move it in a certain position to get it to work properly. I replaced it with a new cord and was able to hear myself and record

Thanks anyway for the help....I also figured out how to use eleven for the guitar effects
Closed Thread