Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

Exclamation Crackling h/w buffer issue/003 connectivity

So, ive been using pro tools for years and i just got a new Mac pro and installed LE 8 along with komplete 7 (which took days!), and unlike ever before im getting a disgusting crackling noise when playing any audio through any application, or while playing any midi. That leads me to believe it has something to do with the CoreAudio manager but im not sure.

Also when i try to record anything (midi or audio) it immediately stops and displays -"Operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently try increasing the H/W buffer size -(-6086)". So ive adjusted my buffer size in every which way and it just makes the problem slightly worse. And sometimes it will lose connectivity with the 003 altogether and the session will just quit automatically (extremely dangerous and frustrating!) and then says Please connect the 003 and press "OK", even though the "OK" will not work no matter how many times you connect and press "OK".

If anyone has the slightest decency to try and help me out (UNLIKE AVID WHO NEEDS TO CHARGE THEIR CUSTOMERS $40 BEFORE OFFERING ANY KIND OF SUPPORT!!!!!) it would NOT go under-appreciated!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Crackling h/w buffer issue/003 connectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHater View Post
So, ive been using pro tools for years and i just got a new Mac pro and installed LE 8 along with komplete 7 (which took days!), and unlike ever before im getting a disgusting crackling noise when playing any audio through any application, or while playing any midi. That leads me to believe it has something to do with the CoreAudio manager but im not sure.

Also when i try to record anything (midi or audio) it immediately stops and displays -"Operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently try increasing the H/W buffer size -(-6086)". So ive adjusted my buffer size in every which way and it just makes the problem slightly worse. And sometimes it will lose connectivity with the 003 altogether and the session will just quit automatically (extremely dangerous and frustrating!) and then says Please connect the 003 and press "OK", even though the "OK" will not work no matter how many times you connect and press "OK".

If anyone has the slightest decency to try and help me out (UNLIKE AVID WHO NEEDS TO CHARGE THEIR CUSTOMERS $40 BEFORE OFFERING ANY KIND OF SUPPORT!!!!!) it would NOT go under-appreciated!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Sorry to hear about your frustration. I went over the same problems that you are having, I tried to eliminate all possible reasons, troubleshooted my system so many times, (-6086), (-9019), (-9028) errors on every session, I checked plug ins compatibility, I checked my HDs looking for illegal characters, deinstalled and reinstalled PT, made sure my mac had the right configuration, checked firewire cables, I even changed my external drives and nothing.

Digi used to ask us users to troubleshoot the system, Avid ask the same, I don't know what else need to be done in order for Avid fix all the problems with PT LE, the system somehow is broken and seems like they don't find what is wrong.

Last week I finally sold my LE system ( PT LE + 003 Factory + Complete Music Production Tool kit ) and I bought a PT HD system, the only thing that I did was uninstall PT LE completely and install PT HD, everything else stays the same, the same plug in folder, the same configuration, but now I have a extra firewire port available and the system is excellent, no crashes, no freezes, no errors, running the same sessions recorded on LE.
For me there is no other explanation about these errors, have to be PT LE because I didn't change anything else in my setup, maybe a 003 issue? who knows it! PT 7.4 was the only version without crashes, after PT 8 unfortunately everything went down the hill.

I hope you can find a solution on your system.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM

What kind of computer are you using? How about your hard-drives? Tell us the specifics, please.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
What kind of computer are you using? How about your hard-drives? Tell us the specifics, please.
Mac Pro 2.66 intel dual xeon
4 gigs of RAM
4 Hard drives (Intel ESB2 AHCI) 1 -500 gig, 3 -750 gigs