Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2023, 12:48 PM

Default How to automate NKS & 3rd party plugs with NI's Komplete Kontrol in Pro Tools!

After years of beating my head against the wall, I finally got this figured out!

This video explains how to automate Native Instrument's NKS plugins and 3rd party plugins using the Komplete Kontrol knobs within Pro Tools.

In most other DAW's, this requires no configuration at all. But, as well know, Pro Tools can be persnickety...

To make things more complicated, automating NKS plugins is a completely different workflow than automating 3rd Party Plugs...

I hope this helps someone. Feel free to leave questions or comments.

https://youtu.be/1ZbOzo9jHvo
Old 05-25-2023, 01:14 PM

Default Re: How to automate NKS & 3rd party plugs with NI's Komplete Kontrol in Pro Tools!

Great tutorial video. Thanks for posting.

System Details
Old 05-25-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Re: How to automate NKS & 3rd party plugs with NI's Komplete Kontrol in Pro Tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfantsimon2 View Post
After years of beating my head against the wall, I finally got this figured out!

This video explains how to automate Native Instrument's NKS plugins and 3rd party plugins using the Komplete Kontrol knobs within Pro Tools.

In most other DAW's, this requires no configuration at all. But, as well know, Pro Tools can be persnickety...

To make things more complicated, automating NKS plugins is a completely different workflow than automating 3rd Party Plugs...

Thanks for putting this together. This is definitely confusing to keep straight, but your video covers it nicely.

I also noticed that if you right click the knobs in Kontakt/Kontrol you can say learn MIDI, but then you have to press the MIDI button on the Komplete keyboard to be sending MIDI CC data to Pro Tools. If you want to use the "Plug-In" view, you have to set it up like your video shows. But one other thing to note... "Plug-in" needs to be turned on in the Automation Window.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-25-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Aaah, well there you go. Thanks for sharing that.
It's crazy how simple it actually is and makes sense when you think of the instrument as a plugin, with plugin automation.
Seems like every other DAW treats this as controller data.
Thanks again
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 05-26-2023, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
But one other thing to note... "Plug-in" needs to be turned on in the Automation Window.
Thank you!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Plugin needs to be turned on". Will you post a screenshot?

If I need to add something or edit the video, that's easy and I want it to be right.

Thank you again!

Gina Fant-Simon
Old 03-22-2024, 04:19 PM

Thanks. It worked for me. Very grateful.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

I'm not sure what you mean by "Plugin needs to be turned on". Will you post a screenshot?

If I need to add something or edit the video, that's easy and I want it to be right.

Thank you again!

Gina Fant-Simon
Automation Window - cmd+num 4 opens it up.

Make sure plugin is selected to be automated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 7.00.59 PM.png (23.8 KB, 0 views)
Almost every plugin