Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Even Dirk Turpin wore a mask when he robbed people

I would like to know if this strong reaction from the HD people was expected?Somewhere down the line you must have thought about this, and still not a valid reason to charge us more for less. It would be a wise move to admit you made a mistake and in the long run I'm sure it will be in favor of Avid.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-DK View Post
l not a valid reason to charge us more for less. It would be a wise move to admit you made a mistake and in the long run I'm sure it will be in favor of Avid.
This like most things is a matter of perspective, and relative to other factors.

Look at it like the LE crew got "charged less for a whole lot more"

If I were on the avid board I would approve this price structure knowing that 30,000 sales of 250-600 is a fine thing, considering how HUGE of an improvement this is over LE.
1500-2000 HD upgrades are a drop in the bucket, and a smart calculated risk from AVID. We will Bitch and Moan, but in the end stay loyal.
Major new software updates, new interfaces, HD mobility, new HEAT (that shows their allegiance to HD and TDM, IMO).... in 6 months to a year (after PCIe inventories are down to "replacement usage" levels.) New Cards, or something better.

disclaimer: numbers were pulled from you know where..

But i still like to look at it like LE guys got a HUGE BONE, instead of us HD'rs getting the SHAFT. ff
Old 11-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
This like most things is a matter of perspective, and relative to other factors.

Look at it like the LE crew got "charged less for a whole lot more"

If I were on the avid board I would approve this price structure knowing that 30,000 sales of 250-600 is a fine thing, considering how HUGE of an improvement this is over LE.
1500-2000 HD upgrades are a drop in the bucket, and a smart calculated risk from AVID. We will Bitch and Moan, but in the end stay loyal.
Major new software updates, new interfaces, HD mobility, new HEAT (that shows their allegiance to HD and TDM, IMO).... in 6 months to a year (after PCIe inventories are down to "replacement usage" levels.) New Cards, or something better.

disclaimer: numbers were pulled from you know where..

But i still like to look at it like LE guys got a HUGE BONE, instead of us HD'rs getting the SHAFT. ff
And yet another view: The next upgrade for HD is going to be Hardware, not a major software overhaul getting to use any interface you want & it ain't going to cost $249. YMMV of course.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Completely understood and we definitely looked at all angles on this.

I won't go into justifications for things being the way they are - no matter how much I try to fill in the blanks, it doesn't seem to end anywhere positive.

Let's just say we tried to take care of everybody, but we knew there would be plenty of exceptions and, if we tried to find a way to accommodate every exception the complexity went up and reality of implementation down, both exponentially.
I am just wondering this position that Avid put you guys in (DTS), where you have to get out of your way to justify corporate decisions instead of focusing on tech support, but I don't blame you guys, I think Avid should have someone that represent the company and is aware customer concerns to give us some insight on this situation. We know that its hard and impossible to satisfy every single customer, but on the other hand why is hard to talk to customer in a more openly way? We don't want to know details of future products, I believe that majority of us here would like to be safe over our investments because nobody is playing around, I want to upgrade my system as well, maybe another $3,000 in accell cards, its nothing compared to other partners here who I am pretty sure can spend 10, 20x more than me, but the big point is been safe, knowing that I am not put the result of my sacrifices on a product that is not up to development anymore based on your company recent market strategies change, more specifically on Native systems, the opposite of TDM systems that has not been developed almost for a decade!

Just for the record, you guys at Digidesign Tech Support does a great job!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 PM

Just for what it's worth, after nearly 15 years of using PT and dealing with Digi, I think there has been a significant improvement in the openness in the last few years. The fact that DTS comes to this board and answers a lot of our questions directly is proof of that. Try getting that from Apple or MOTU - you won't see it.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:29 PM

I agree that it's great to get some answers, but did I miss a response on why European prices are so high. Or why we cannot purchase in dollars? It is a shame we need to circumvent the Avid site and go to Sweetwater or the like.