Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2016, 06:13 AM

Default Some niggles?

Three weeks in and my S6 is getting a LOT of love.

However I've come across a couple of things.

1. I keep loosing the Pan knob on Process Modules. The OLED goes blank and the blue knob illumination doesn't light. It's intermittent and happens on random channels. I can assign other functions to the Process Module knob and they work fine. I can also assign Pan to the Knob module. If I spill a VCA, lost pan knobs and channels that have disappeared get pan knobs again in the spill!.. Quitting and restarting PT seems to solve it until it happens again. I'll try closing and reopening the session next time.

2. Editing with the Jog Wheel: Re. the chart on page 94 of the user guide. I must be doing something REALLY stupid because I can't get any of the Shift or Other functions to work. For example: Trim to Start/End, Fade to Start/End, Mark In/Out... Nothing is happening! I'm sure I saw a video of this working, maybe in Gil Gowing's series of getting started videos. I can't find it though!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Some niggles?

Marsdy,
With regards to your 2nd item, above, for the Wheel Shift functions you have to use the Shift switch next to the wheel. For the other functions, you should be able to use the corresponding Fader Module modifier switches (Opt/Alt, or Cmd/Win). Are those not working for you?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
Marsdy,
With regards to your 2nd item, above, for the Wheel Shift functions you have to use the Shift switch next to the wheel. For the other functions, you should be able to use the corresponding Fader Module modifier switches (Opt/Alt, or Cmd/Win). Are those not working for you?
Some of the Shift functions are working. For example, I can shift between horizontal scrolling and zooming. I can shift between zooming track height and waveform amplitude. I just can't get the editing functions to work. I must be doing something wrong but unfortunately the user guide is a tad vague in this area.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:17 PM

For the edit functions Trim to Start and Trim to End (doc'd as the Shift functions for the + and - switches around the wheel), try holding Shift on a Fader Module while pressing (wheel switches) + or -. (Rotating the Wheel doesn't do anything in this mode, it's just each press of the + or - switches that trims the current clip to the cursor location.)
What I find confusing is that the different Shift switches (Master Module vs Fader Module) access different functions.
And yes, the guide is a bit vague on this - I'll put in a request to have that clarified in the guide at the next update.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Avid

Yes sorry for the confusion. Originally these buttons were only going to do 2 things each (with the local shift) but we quickly realized that we could use the modifiers too. As for the pan issue can you check if you can page over to get to the pan knobs when they are not there ?
Old 02-13-2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Yes sorry for the confusion. Originally these buttons were only going to do 2 things each (with the local shift) but we quickly realized that we could use the modifiers too. As for the pan issue can you check if you can page over to get to the pan knobs when they are not there ?
Hi Eddie
When you Pan knob disappears you can page to the left but get a series of empty OLEDs and the Pan knob stays unlit.

There is a slight oddity here. Let's say the pan knob is working as expected on a stereo track. It defaults to Left pan, page left you get Right pan, then Inv, then Pan Link. Love this! However, you can keep paging left and get empty OLED screens. I think it keeps scrolling back about five empty pages. Page right five times and you get back to the Pan Link page. You'd think the left page button would become unlit and stop paging when it get's to Pan Link?

Last edited by Marsdy; 02-13-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
For the edit functions Trim to Start and Trim to End (doc'd as the Shift functions for the + and - switches around the wheel), try holding Shift on a Fader Module while pressing (wheel switches) + or -. (Rotating the Wheel doesn't do anything in this mode, it's just each press of the + or - switches that trims the current clip to the cursor location.)
What I find confusing is that the different Shift switches (Master Module vs Fader Module) access different functions.
And yes, the guide is a bit vague on this - I'll put in a request to have that clarified in the guide at the next update.
Thanks Halfmoon. I'll try the Fader Module modifiers.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Avid

Eucon knobsets have 8 knob slots so this explains the blank ones. Did you page over 7 times ? This is another area that once we get through the bigger feature we will look at.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Eucon knobsets have 8 knob slots so this explains the blank ones. Did you page over 7 times ? This is another area that once we get through the bigger feature we will look at.
It's happened a couple of times today. The pan knob disappeared. I can confirm that on a stereo track, I can page right four times and get to the Pan Link page. Before that I just get empty OLEDs and no knob illumination. It seems to be just Pan that is affected by this.

EDIT.... And on a mono track, paging 7 times gets the pan knob back as you say!

Last edited by Marsdy; 02-14-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks Halfmoon. It works as you described. I'm an idiot. I thought the jog wheel was involved. I was assuming the edit functionality you get with the Display Module would apply except on an M10 you wouldn't see it on the Display Module... obviously. I think I got that idea that the jog wheel was involved from one of Gil Gowing's excellent videos.

Last edited by Marsdy; 02-16-2016 at 02:10 PM.