Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 AM

Default Couldn't uninstall 10.0 or install 10.2

I first tried to install but I got this message.
"Setup detected older version of Pro Tools or HD Drivers installed on your system.Please uninstall the old setup and try again."
So I tried to uninstall Pro Tools 10.1.2.
I got another error.
I went through this before when upgrading PT so I started to do a registry clean and manual delete like I had to before but I still got the message above. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, M-Audio Audiophile 192. This setup usually works pretty well.
I used a protools nuker but it must be from PT 6 and probably looked in the 64 bit Program Files directory.
I think I have much deleted but I would like to manually try to delete the rest of the older program files that are probably root or windows system files.
Any clue as to where the Pro Tools or HD files are would be much appreciated.
thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Couldn't uninstall 10.0 or install 10.2

update: tried to install 9 but couldn't do that either because it said 9.06 is still installed. All Avid and Digidesign files and folders are deleted from
program files (x86) and /common files.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 AM

I used Windows built in uninstaller to get 10 off from 10.2's way and it worked great. I believe your problem came from manually deleting the program and some stuff is left behind.

I am weak at windows, but if I was you I would try to Repair or Modify the installation you have and then remove it with using Windows.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:15 AM

Thanks Digidesigner,
What I did is reinstall 9.06 since it said that I still had that installation, then I uninstalled that successfully and got up to where the avid 64 bit driver is about to install. that's as far as i can get. It just tells me to reboot over and over. The error is a registry key not existing which shouldn't be an issue since this update is actually a full install. Since I was in a reboot cycle. I looked for the Avid HD Driver installer and found it in the installer files. I get this error:

Avid HD Driver (x64) Installer information
Internal Error 27555
MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Digidesign\DSI, The specific procedure could not be found, 127

The funny thing is that I found that I can actually load Protools from the installer files. Some things don't work like the fonts aren't loaded. I'm sure I would run into other problems but all my plugins load. It must use both directories. I couldn't skip the driver install by renaming the driver. Oh well.
There is nothing in the windows program uninstaller since nothing really got installed except for a few plugs so I can't repair the installation.

update: As I was typing this PT 10 installed but I had an option to ignore permissions' concerning the above DSI thing above and a few other items. I went through that before too. I usually run as Administrator but get these permission errors. You would think I'm using a Mac!!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 AM

Soy that Notation issue should be fixed in 10.2.0.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:48 AM

I just clicked and installed over the previous fonts. I still kill the sequencer engine when moving notes around only in the notation display. the whole thing feels faster though. I could see that there are more AAX files for starters.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 AM

Just a note about uninstalling 10.x.x versions. When I went to use the Windows 7 x64 uninstaller in Control Panel I did not get an option to uninstall - only Change or Repair.

I selected Change and the PT installer/uninstaller started up and gave me the typical options to Repair, Modify, or Uninstall. I chose Uninstall and then got the familiar PT menu to choose the type of uninstall (just PT, PT and HD Drivers, etc.).

I've seen a few posters on the DUC over the past few days having trouble trying to uninstall older versions of PT so they could install PT 10.2. There doesn't seem to be much in the PT 10.2 Install Guide about how to do this.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Just a note about uninstalling 10.x.x versions. When I went to use the Windows 7 x64 uninstaller in Control Panel I did not get an option to uninstall - only Change or Repair.

I selected Change and the PT installer/uninstaller started up and gave me the typical options to Repair, Modify, or Uninstall. I chose Uninstall and then got the familiar PT menu to choose the type of uninstall (just PT, PT and HD Drivers, etc.).

I've seen a few posters on the DUC over the past few days having trouble trying to uninstall older versions of PT so they could install PT 10.2. There doesn't seem to be much in the PT 10.2 Install Guide about how to do this.

Hope this helps,
Greg
I had the same problem. No uninstall for Pro Tools in control panel->Programs->Uninstall a program
I did not find any uninstall from Start-> All Programs -> Avid either.

10.2 installer did not let me install because it found a previous Pro Tools version installed.
So, as a shot in the dark I started installer for 10.0.x and finally got the option to uninstall!

It would be nice if the 10.2 installer would handle uninstalling previous versions!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:48 AM

In the control panel I selected "change" I believe and it opened up a dialog to uninstall pro tools. It took me awhile to figure it out I'll admit. I'm not in front of it so I might have that wrong. But it's one of the options available.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM

In the control panel I just got error messages when I clicked on the program. I should have used the change button up top of the control panel but it was too late. The program it was looking at was 9.06. I was able to install that then uninstall it which I must have not done correctly before. This may have been caused from using some system restore actions a little while ago.