Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 04:38 AM

Default URGENT: S6 won't restart.

I thought my support contract included 24/7 telephone support. It seems not. The UK number.... "out of office hours". It's a bank holiday so I called the European number: "out of office hours, if your case is urgent please leave you're name number and system ID blah blah. NOT HAPPY....

Anyways.... My S6 just crashed whilst I was out of the room! Completely frozen. Now it won't restart. It freezes during startup and the purple LED on every module stays lit rather than just flashing momentarily.

This has happened before. I called support and the fix was to plug in a USB keyboard and press ctrl+alt+delete during start up.

I'm trying to do this but it's still not starting up. Does anyone know at which point you need to hit ctrl+alt+delete?

HELP!!!!
Old 03-25-2016, 04:52 AM

Default Re: URGENT: S6 won't restart.

Just tried to leave a message with support to get a call back... engaged tone then cut off!!!!

Nice.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:56 AM

Fired off a support request via email marked URGENT... at 11.54 am UK time. Watching the clock!

EDIT: 4 hour response dammit.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:20 AM

Up and running no thanks to Avid.

Ctrl+alt+delete is the Windows command to force quite an app isn't it?

Anyway, whilst the S6 was starting up I hit ctrl+alt+delete. After repeated attempts and the S6 started up... Sort of... It clearly wasn't a happy bunny because the purple LED on each module remained lit. I hit ctrl+alt+delete again and was able to hit restart in the drop down menu. The S6 appeared to start normally so I shutdown and restarted. Up and running thank whoever.

Point 1. Why did it crash when I was out of the room!

2. Why wasn't I able to get through to tech support on the phone? I know it's a holiday in the UK today but there are other numbers you can call. I realise I'm probably being impatient but I have deadlines.

3. Is it worth me spending £1250 to renew my support plan at the end of the first year?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:41 AM

Apologies for yet another post in this thread.

The penny just dropped. It's Good Friday. I guess the whole of Avid Europe is shutdown. That's why I was getting an out of office hours reply because my call was getting routed to the US?

Not a good day for a system failure I guess.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Avid

Hey sorry to hear about this. I have forwarded this thread to Customer Support to see what happened and either I will let you know or they will get in contact.
As for the freeze, the logs might tell us something. Here are the instructions to get them from the Master Module:

The log file folder may be “hidden” so use this procedure just below to “unhide” any hidden files. This is from the admin account in Windows 8 which means you'll need to log off from the S6 app and then login in the next window as the admin. The default password is "password".

Open Explorer, go to view and then options, then folder and search options
In the new windows that opens select view tab
In the advanced box about 6 down is a radio option to show hidden files and folders.
Logs: c:\Users\S6User\AppData\Local\Avid\Logs\S6
Crash reports: c:\Users\S6User\My Documents\Avid_CrashReports

It sounds like the system is booting but the MTM App is then crashing leaving you with a black screen ? Modules with purple lights mean they can't find the MTM App.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM
Avid

Also can you tell me what numbers you dialed ? Thanks