Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2016, 09:37 AM

Default Jog/Shuttle Wheel.... I don't get it.

Apologies for what is clearly ignorance on my part but i'm just not getting the functionality of the wheel in Jog and Shuttle mode. (I didn't on my C|24 either.)

When either Jog or Shuttle is engaged, the Scrubber tool automatically gets selected and every other Pro Tools function is "locked out". All the menus are greyed out etc.

So... Let's say I use the wheel in Jog mode to locate to where I want to separate a clip or add a fade I can't do it. I have to turn Jog off to do the edit, then turn it back on to locate to the next edit point etc. It seems really clunky to me. I don't get it!!!!

This is why I was suggesting it would be great if there was an preference for the Wheel to default to moving the Playhead if no other wheel function is engaged. It would be nice if this behaved like Trim mode, i.e. if you're in Grid mode it jumps by bars. If you're in Slip mode, it moves with sample accuracy depending on zoom level?

I've tried using Trim mode as a workaround to move the Playhead but as soon as you make a selection, the wheel moves the selection. Also, I've found there's a bit of flaky behaviour here. Once you've located an edit point in Trim mode, you often have to press say the Fade In or Separate softkey twice for it to work. But it's a far from ideal workaround anyway.

Or am I missing something obvious here? Entirely possible!
Old 03-07-2016, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Jog/Shuttle Wheel.... I don't get it.

Fairlight MFX+ had a really good implementation of a job shuttle wheel
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 03-10-2016, 05:59 AM

Hi Dave

I may be working differently to you, but I pretty much leave the wheel in Move Selection mode - which just shuttles the playhead through the timeline - then use scrub if I want to find an edit point.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_H View Post
Hi Dave

I may be working differently to you, but I pretty much leave the wheel in Move Selection mode - which just shuttles the playhead through the timeline - then use scrub if I want to find an edit point.
Rob I'm pretty doing the same thing. Using The Trim/Move Selection to move the Playhead and it works great for my purposes.... until I make a selection and it moves that which is what it says on the tin I suppose but I just find annoying!

What I DON'T like about Scrub is that you can do anything when you're actually in Scrub mode, i.e. Jog or Shuttle. You have to find your edit point, exit Scrub, do the edit, then go back into Scrub to find the next edit, exit scrub, do the next edit and so on..... and so on. Unless I'm missing something obvious.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:31 PM

Marsdy, have you tried using the Mark In and Mark Out buttons with the jog wheel? They are in the locator buttons section of the main module. This allows you to make a selection easily and works with grid mode settings as well. Also one of my fave uses for the jog wheel is the scroll horizontal feature. Using a combination of these 2 functions, I can be zoomed in to a good level of detail on the waveform, easily scroll back and forward with the wheel and then us Mark In and Mark Out to make a selection. Hope this helps.

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 03-14-2016, 03:09 PM

What about the insertion follows scrub option in prefs?
That's what I use.
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 03-15-2016, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priorytools View Post
What about the insertion follows scrub option in prefs?
That's what I use.
Thanks but I already had that on. The issue for me is that whenever Scrub is engaged, which it is of course when you're in Jog or Shuttle mode, you're locked out of actually doing anything!!! Seems clunky to me.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Missile View Post
Marsdy, have you tried using the Mark In and Mark Out buttons with the jog wheel? They are in the locator buttons section of the main module. This allows you to make a selection easily and works with grid mode settings as well. Also one of my fave uses for the jog wheel is the scroll horizontal feature. Using a combination of these 2 functions, I can be zoomed in to a good level of detail on the waveform, easily scroll back and forward with the wheel and then us Mark In and Mark Out to make a selection. Hope this helps.
Sorry I missed this post Steve. Yeah I do the Mark In/Out functions that but if you just want to move the playhead to an edit point where you want to Separate or Fade In/Out it doesn't help. None of the Jogwheel modes do until except Trim but then that doesn't do the job once you've made a selection. As it is, I find I'm constantly switching in and out of Jog/Shuttle mode with the wheel. Jog on, find edit point, Jog off, do the edit, jog on again, next edit, jog off, locate next edit and so on and so on. Thanks anyway.