Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2001, 03:01 PM

Default Startup Problem! Please help

Well, I'm hoping someone here can help me out. When I went to boot up my Digi001 computer today, right after the Windows 98 startup screen I get the error "VMM32.VXD is required to run Windows. If theis file is not in your PATH, you may need to reinstall Windows." Now, I don't know how this file became missing but does anyone know how to fix it? I tryed running my Windows setup again but it tells me that I already have Windows and I would need to upgrade, not do a total install. Is there anyway to install Windows overtop of the current Windows to fix this problem? I would just reformat the drive and start over with everything but I don't want to lose my D-Verb authorization! Oh, I can't start in safe mode either. Same error. Thanks for any help!

Tony
Old 08-13-2001, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Startup Problem! Please help

Tony,
I'm not at a Win98 machine right now, but if you can boot to DOS, whether using Windows or with a DOS floppy, you could look through your Windows and Windows\system directories for the file. If you find it, it may be corrupted.

If you can then find a machine running the same OS, then you could try putting a new copy in place. and then attempt a reboot.

I can take a look tonight at one of my machines (Win98SE) and see where the file is.

Mark
Old 08-13-2001, 10:05 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I found the file on my GigaSampler PC using the Find Files applictaion. It was in the C:\Windows\System directory. I copied the file to a disk and went the the Dos Prompt on my PT computer and it does not have a System folder under Windows it only has C:\Windows\System32 directory. Well, I copied the file into that directory with no success. It still gives me the same error. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help!

Tony
Old 08-13-2001, 11:09 PM

UPDATE:

Well, after looking at my GigaSampler Computer's hard drive I found that you are suppossed to have a SYSTEM32 AND SYSTEM directory under Windows. Well, I've found that my hard drive in the PT computer has gone bad with bad sectors (don't buy Maxtor) and the SYSTEM folder is completly missing. I think my only option here is to get a new hard drive. Well, I had the idea to put the hard drive in my GigaSampler computer as an E drive and try to run the D-Verb DeAuthorizer. Well, that didn't work, I get this error, "An error happened while performing hard disk authorization installation or removal Result Code= 4105" Does anyone know a work around for this so I can at least save my D-Verb auth.? If not, I guess I will have to use my backup and hope Digi will send me another disk. At least I was able to save some of the other info I had on the drive. Thanks for any help!

Tony
Old 08-14-2001, 07:00 AM
Avid

-It looks like your DVerb authorization is permanently corrupted. As long as you are registered, we can issue you a replacement backup due to your drive crash. Please call tech support for a new disk:
650-842-6699

Brent