Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Guitar Rig 5 crashes PT 9

I'm wondering if I'm the only one having this issue. I installed Komplete 8 yesterday, and having previously used Guitar Rig 4 with no problems, I assumed the same would be true after upgrading to Guitar Rig 5. However, every time I try to instantiate GR 5 it crashes Pro Tools.

I can instantiate it in Vienna Ensemble Pro, and it works perfectly. It also opens in stand-alone mode. But doing so in Pro Tools, it crashes every time.

Anyone else facing this issue, or is it only on my machine? Thanks for any suggestions.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Mac Pro Dual Quad 3.2GHz; 18 GB ram; OS X 10.6.8, Pro Tools 9.0.3, Digi 002
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Guitar Rig 5 crashes PT 9

Well, I am currently using Pro tools 9. My computer is a Core 2 Duo 3GHz with 4 GB of ram. ACPI x64-based PC. 4 harddrives
1. WDC WD200BB-53DE0 ATA Device
2. WDC WD3200AAJS-00L7A0ATA Device
3. WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device
4. WDC WD5001AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device

A Realtek RTL8168C(p)/811C(p) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Digidesign 003.

Now the problem I am haveing is that in my sessions when I place the RTAS versions of Gitar Rig 5 Pro or Reactor 5.6 I get:
access violation occurred while translating tracks then another access violation occurred unable to write location 0x0000020C.
I then have to close out Pro tools because I would get those same messages and would not be able to open any other sessions.
After I restarted Pro tools, the session that I first got the violation messages will not open. Other sessions could open but
not the ones that got the access violations.
Kontakt 5 works great but in Studio Drummer when I tried to export the midi drum pattern an access violation pops up instead.
I am able to still work in that session thought. Assertion in\"..\\.\\Sys\\Win32\\Sys_FileLocWin32.cpp\",lin e 477
Standalone these instruments are wonderful. In FL studio they work great. Last night I had to wrap the VST versions with
Fxpansion's Wrapper and the worked fine in Pro tools but when I closed out the session I got a C++ error message.
I'm new to Native Instruments and was hoping everything would go smooth. It would be a while before I get another computer so I really hope I'm not stuck unable to use Komplete 8.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 PM

NI has always been a little bit behind in their RTAS versions.

Have you both checked to see if there's any updates to the programs yet?

I know it's only been out for 1 day, but you never know.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post

There were updates right away after I installed. I am not having an issues here. All good! g
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 09-02-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
There were updates right away after I installed. I am not having an issues here. All good! g
Key wrecked, Mr. NST7, there were updates immediately available, including one for Guitar Rig 5, which I downloaded, installed, and then repaired disk permissions.

Just to be sure, I reinstalled the update, and tried again. Same thing - every time I try to instantiate it, Pro Tools crashes. Over on Vienna Ensemble Pro, it thrives.

I'm glad to hear about your success, Mr. Ives, but I wonder what's causing my lack thereof...

Thanks, all, for jumping in here. Has anyone else had any problems like this?
Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 AM

So now I need to purchase Vienna Ensemble Pro?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinibad1 View Post
So now I need to purchase Vienna Ensemble Pro?
I think NI will take care of the issues that have arisen from Komplete 8's release, but whether or not you should purchase VEP is another story, one that has been discussed in the forums for a while.

I bought it and it has had a huge, positive impact on my workflow. I don't miss the error messages that have all but disappeared by booting up in 64-bit mode and hosting my plugins in VEP. I *highly* recommend that strategy (or going with Reaper, which many here use) until Avid releases the 64-bit compatible version of PT that they are most certainly working on.

Meanwhile, there have been others posting in the NI forums about the problem with Guitar Rig 5 crashing Pro Tools, so it seems another update for that module is in order.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futz View Post
I think NI will take care of the issues that have arisen from Komplete 8's release, but whether or not you should purchase VEP is another story, one that has been discussed in the forums for a while.

I bought it and it has had a huge, positive impact on my workflow. I don't miss the error messages that have all but disappeared by booting up in 64-bit mode and hosting my plugins in VEP. I *highly* recommend that strategy (or going with Reaper, which many here use) until Avid releases the 64-bit compatible version of PT that they are most certainly working on.

Meanwhile, there have been others posting in the NI forums about the problem with Guitar Rig 5 crashing Pro Tools, so it seems another update for that module is in order.
I saw VEP on youtube and the work flow looks sweet. Fxpansion VST wrapper has been working great. Next to the AIR VI's, NI Komplete is the best. Studio Drummer can change midi format to Addictive Drums format and then I can export it.(AD has some punch) Kontakt is a must have. I'm on the hunt for some great libraries. Reaktor will take some time to get used to. I love Guitar Rig. I use the effects with Torq to spice up some dj mix in Pro tools. Really sweet. And of course FM 8, Massive and Absynth is cool. The whole set up feels kind of shaky though. Might have to check out VEP until my favorite DAW becomes 64.