Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 PM

Default Axiom Pro & Transfuser Master Transport

Is anyone noticing when a Transfuser plug-in window is targeted Axiom Pro Transport Play will not trigger Transfuser Master Transport Play?

If the above is not true for you, can you post your exact OS version and Pro Tools details, please?

I'm not interested whether this works with the original Axiom.

filosofem
Old 10-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Axiom Pro & Transfuser Master Transport

Any one running Axiom Pro and Transfuser?

filosofem
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Hi Filosofem and thank you for always trying to help!

I use an AxiomPro 61 with PT 8 cs3 and yes you are correct, Play on the Axiom is hard-wired to play in PT, not the Transfuser Play button.

Not sure why it is like this. I bought the axiom to do all kinds of cool fader rides, knob turns and cool controller stuff. But in reality I don't use it much. The truth is I am so fast on PT I can do about 10 other cool things by the time I find out what one knob on the axiom is connected.

Rubicon

MP 2019 28 core, 384gb 8T
Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Hi Rubicon

Personally I'm not in a pressure cooker so I can adapt and adopt new changes but I would have thought that a given targeted AIR VI with supporting transport could have been used with the Axiom Pro Transport, namely, Transfuser and Boom.

Thanks for confirming.

filosofem
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM

hehe!

Yes, implementing the transport of the axiom that way would make perfect sense. I might even use the axiom as a "second" transport when focusing on transfuser and boom.

Mini sub-mixes of instruments playing within each other... Very interesting indeed!

The transport should also be able to control the play and stop controls within each instrument in transfuser!

If we could control the transports of these instruments from the axiom, we could really cook up some cool stuff! We would also be closer to Mainstage/Live territory for performance oriented music.

Pressure released!

Rubi!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Rubicon how are you finding the mixed integration between Control Surface automation and Continuous Controller automation with the Axiom Pro and Transfuser?

filosofem
Old 10-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Hi filosofem!

The integration between the Axiom pro and transfuser is Hypercontrol...

Regarding Transfuser:

1.) Why isn't there a Transfuser patch on the Axiom Pro?

2.) CC7 Should not control main volume in transfuser on every midi channel!

3.) Modulation wheel should not be hard-wired to crossfade!

4.) Keyboardist way of doing things is good! DJ way of doing things is bad.

Hypercontrol automation integration seems fine between OSX 10.5.8 and PT8cs3. As I said in some prior post, I thought the Axiom Pro was not working optimally when it first arrived. Large sessions would crash while Hypercontrol was communicating. I know this to be true because when I unplugged the Axiom, no crashes... When I installed CS3 all of a sudden no more Axiom based crashes... Wow!

I use Axiom Patch number 2, mac keys most of the time. The faders are wired to PT faders in this patch. I really haven't customized an axiom patch to use the faders for Transfuser.

Faders and knobs work well for tweaks and automation, with minimal lag. The faders seem to work better if the fader value is close to the existing automation value when the recording pass starts. Also of course I could max out lag using large amounts of RTAS and USB bandwidth. Then my Axiom would seem broken when I try to automate things and the timing wasn't correct...

Biggest gripe not related to Hypercontrol:

If Transfuser is on an aux or masterfader, the clock in transfuser is not synced to session tempo anymore, due to RTAS lag. (I have posted about this before.) There is also no sync offset in transfuser. This is very limiting for a remix tool on a full mix, unless you waste time by bringing the mix back into the session as a track.

Fun with CC's in Transfuser:

My favorite thing to do is attach the drum pads to the Beatcutter force buttons. I know, boring and not really continuous control. But if you attach the pads to fx depths, sends, rates, delays, and so on, and control it via pad pressure, it can lead to serious fun! I like using pad pressure for cc's better than the faders and knobs right now, because when you release a pad, the cc automatically returns to 0. Fast! As far as integration is concerned, I have never noticed cc lags or other errors if transfuser is on an audio or instrument track.

On the whole I say Hypercontrol is wonderful as long as avid/digi/whatever doesn't destroy it when they fix some other software issue with an update! Hah!

Rubicon

Old 10-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Reading through your reply rubicon gives raise to my exact concerns. You see unlike Hybrid or Vacuum for instance, Transfuser and Structure for that matter are a different beast when dealing with HyperControl because of their variable nature. Variable in that Transfuser Tracks and Structure Modules are understandably random. How can you map to something that you do not know. It becomes random. So it seems easier to map the housing (HyperControl Control Surface automation) and use Continuous Controller automation for the tracks and/or modules. Here lies the workflow dilemma.

It's easy enough to re-assign the plug-in map and create a custom plug-in map for Transfuser. However what is not so easy is dealing with Transfuser Tracks Continuous Controller automation whilst the Axiom Pro is in HyperControl mode.

Question is do you create a Axiom Pro Transfuser Continuous Controller Patch or do you switch out of HyperControl mode and enter Transport mode or do you use Pro Tools as a MIDI send device, programming VCA lanes to CC74 and use MIDI Learn to receive? The latter is what I am doing and my question to you is have you figured out a better way? Do you use two devices in parallel? Axiom Pro HyperControl and another for Continuous Controller.

By the way, thanks for the Group P FX tip.

filosofem
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Still working on your question. hehe! I will investigate how the axiom modes work tomorrow. I think I programmed Transfuser to learn the pad cc numbers. I don't think I altered the Axiom... Or maybe I did! I've had the axiom now since it came out. Was that April?

Not sure what you mean by two devices?

Trying to help! =)

Rubicon

Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM

It doesn't matter rubicon, I was just interested in how you used Axiom Pro with Transfuser Continuous Controller Automation.

filosofem