Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2004, 05:02 AM

Default OT: ever use a Ensoniq ESQ-1 Digital Wave Synth?

I just scored one for free last evening and am looking for some info on it so I can fire it up and give it a good test overhaul if anyone knows of any good spots online or what not? Also, if anyone happens to know about wiring of keyboards I think it could use a good cleaning out inside maybe caus when you turn it on it glitches a little and kicks right back off randomly. Could be on for a few min. or 30 min. and it is just sporadic. Any good ways of finding out where the source is that is causing it to go out like that? I have never messed with board electronics before. Thanks in advance for any info you all may know of.

Charlie
Old 11-11-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: OT: ever use a Ensoniq ESQ-1 Digital Wave Synth?

I have an Ensoniq ESQ-1. I use it only as my main controller.

The ESQ-1 has the reputation of being one of the best controllers you can find for feel, which is why I use it only as a controller. I would never use any of its sounds. That synth come out around 1987 or 1986 and uses 8-bit sounds that are just plain awful in a SoundFonts kind of way. However, you won't find anything better to use as a controller when it comes to playing - this is the main reason an ESQ-1 is prized, just for what it's like to play.

I would recommend getting is cleaned, which should only be around $20 and should fix the glitches, and using it just to record. Honestly, I very much like the feel of the synth (and I've played several synths). Whether you know it or not, you've scored a $300 synth with excellent feel.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:31 AM

wow, man you just made my day by telling me what a sweet score that is! I knew it was pretty cool already just to have another board in the studio, but man just goes to show ya if you are on the lookout that there are some sweet deals out there. hehe

Maybe I will try to clean it and see what happens on it, or if I can't get it to work myself I'll take it in to the local music shop and give it a go.

Do you happen to know of any spots online I could get the technical docs from on this board by chance? I am looking for the layout of the board so I know how to take it appart and put it back together. Thanks

Charlie
Old 11-11-2004, 12:28 PM

I don't know where you'd find information on disassembly for cleaning. It really is something I'd get done at a music store. I had a synth cleaned last year and I thought it was cheap for only $20 (this is without needing parts). It was more work dragging it to and from the music store.

BTW: There's two ESQ-1s on eBay now. One is going for $250 and the other is $150 but the guy wants $350.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:36 PM

yeah, saw those on Ebay when I was searching online this morning for specs on the board. Talk about hauling that thing.. man, I went to pick it up one handed last night when I picked it up caus I have a Casio WK3000 in the studio also and it is light as a feather and the SD-1 was like whoa! I had to grab it quick with the other hand to prevent from dropping it. They really built those things like a tank back in the day. hehe