Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Why I went Logic.

I have been a Protools LE user since 2005 but just recently I have gone over to Logic. I thought I would share the reasons why, in the hope that someone at Avid is listening.

*** The thing that killed PT for me is the need to use a Digidesign/Avid interface ***

With Logic, I can use any interface including the one built onto my Macbook pro, my Novation X-Station, my Profire 2626. Now I have this flexibility I will have major problems going back to PTLE being tethered to my (lets be honest fairly crap) 002R dongle. Can I use PTLE with only the laptop in the front room on headphones whilst wifey watches Eastenders? No ...

However now I am into Logic land, I am also wondering if I wasted a lot of money buying plugins for PT to make up for the deficiencies of the included ones. Did I really need Reason 4? Or NI Komplete. I also got Ableton Live for playing out, but Logic has Mainstage. Not having track limits has changed my workflow for the better. I even have ADC.

I've put up with all the random white noise bursts, the play pause issue, struggled with building custom PC's, eventually went Mac only to find PT wasn't much better.

Having said all this I do actually like Protools itself, I think it's got the best interface and is the most intuitive to use. But Avid please loose the dongles!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Why I went Logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveparker View Post
But Avid please loose the dongles!
This will NEVER happen. It's all about selling hardware with AVID unfortunately.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 10-18-2010, 04:23 PM

I do really like Logic especially for its MIDI functionality, I understand what you say about hardware however, I believe Digidesign's argument would be there products are designed for 'professionals' where sitting in the sitting room watching eastenders is a no go. Personally I think PTLE is pretty crap when you have been using a HD rig but unfortunately I can not afford HD in my home studio yet.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:36 PM

You will be back, you will find logic more frustrating, it will take several months. Been there, done that, several times.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-18-2010, 05:48 PM

I use both Logic AND Pro Tools (LE & HD) professionally. Love both platforms. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.

redtuxedo.com
milkmoneyconsulting.com
mindexpansiontechnology.com
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM

You guys talking about Digi never unchaining their hardware may want to read this article:

http://www.airusersblog.com/home-pag....html#comments
Old 10-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
You will be back, you will find logic more frustrating, it will take several months. Been there, done that, several times.
this has been my experience as well.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 AM

Maybe one day I will be back. To be honest as I said I do actually prefer the Protools interface, but maybe thats because I am just more familiar with it. However at the moment Logic just seems to be more suited to my needs.

As for professional use, I am definetly not a professional. Maybe "very keen amateur" is more accurate. But if professional means having to use a crap interface then you can keep it! Why shouldn't I be able to use the gear I paid for in anyway I choose? Including the avoidance of slightly depressing sopa operas?

And on the "Avid is only interested in hardware", why then do I need to buy a different version of PT (PTMP) if I wanted to use my Profire 2626 natively? What exactly is the point in the PTLE and PTMP divide?

I'm starting to rant now, I will get my coat...

Dave
Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 AM

I dont think PTLE is crap.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:05 AM

I still prefer to compose and produce in Logic, but recording and mixing just feels better with PT.

For those reasons I switch between both platforms.