Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Mbox user need more inputs

Greetins PT Users,
I have had an mbox for a little while now and am running LE on my G4 powerbook with OSX.
I am just looking for some suggestions on how to expand my amount of mic/line inputs. I don't have enough $$ to buy an 002 or new PT hardware upgrades. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Mbox user need more inputs

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you need more than 2 inputs on the original Mbox, you're out of luck.

The Mbox 2 will give you 4 inputs, 2 of which are via s/pdif.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 PM

Hi-
I'm running a similar setup (Mbox 1 on G4 PowerBook) and recently ran into the same problem. The solution I ended up with isn't exactly ideal, but it worked for me, allowing two more inputs, though the sound quality isn't the absolute best. However, I think it's the best solution possible without major hardware upgrades (ie 002).

Kind of sketchy, but here's what I might suggest: download a simple stereo recording program such as Sound Studio or Audacity (though I've found Audacity to be highly unstable, and hence recommend Sound Studio). Using this, you can simultaneously record two channels from your PowerBook's built in analog audio input jack (I used a cheap Behringer mixer for this) while recording your two channels from the Mbox. Record in Sound Studio (or whatever app you choose) at an appropriate sample rate/bit depth/file type to match your Pro Tools session, and then import the files into PTLE.

I don't know if that'll exactly live up to your standards of quality, but it might work as kind of a makeshift solution. Just did this yesterday recording a drumkit, and got (what I considered to be, given the situation) pretty acceptable results. Hope that helps.

Zev
Old 04-24-2006, 06:16 PM

Borrow an HD24, dump to your computer, and enjoy. lol

In all seriousness, without getting a mixer and bouncing everything live down to stereo, you're kinda stuck unless you...

A) record to something else and dump the files on by some electronic means
B) record to something else and sync Pro Tools and lay the tracks in 2 at a time
C) record into your computer with some other audio interface and then open the files in PT or
D) get a credit account with a retailer and up your system.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:01 PM

Get a mixer with as many inputs as you need. Feed it's output to the mbox. You limit your mixing capabilities, but you'll be able to take on more sources.

Commit to your recordings just like in the old days.