Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Default Offsetting the session start time possible?

That is, in the Min/Sec or SMPTE timeline. I know you can move the SONG START in the Bars/Beats timeline, but can you move the 0:00:00 point to later? Part of my workflow involves recording backup to CD, so we start again every 70-80 minutes. As it is now, I go back to zero and just start a new track, but I'd prefer to have one continuous track (which makes leaving markers easier) and just keep resetting the zero point as I start a new CD.

I tried Current Timecode Position but it didn't seem to do anything.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,
E
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Offsetting the session start time possible?

Not sure but why not just drop location markers at the start of each song or take. Having 70 minute sessions seems a PITA to me. I prefer to have a session for each song and keep record allocation to 6-10 minutes which seems to make PT run a bit more stable.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-21-2008, 06:38 AM

In Song Land that makes perfect sense. I should've clarified this is Book On Tape Land, where you're recording people reading for 6 hours straight. So we just go and go until the backup is full and then start again. Mind you, we don't do 80-minute takes. I usually do a new take with each page turn. But the client likes to see the time on the 'big counter' on the computer monitor so they have an idea how much time is left before the current backup CD runs out (which is when everyone takes a break!).

The reason going linear in one track would be optimal for me is because of markers. When I have to keep going back to TRUE ZERO for each new backup disc (as it is now, I do a new track for each backup CD) all the markers start piling up on top of each other from disc to disc, if that makes sense. "Is this a marker from disc 1? 2?". Sure, I could make that info part of the marker's info, but it'd be nice not to.

Oh, the million ways to do any one given thing!
Old 05-21-2008, 08:17 AM

Why not just make a new session file that corresponds to each backup CD? I think this would make a lot of sense organizationally and shouldn't have too much of a negative impact on your workflow.

Then after completing editing and processing for each session/CD, you could then consolidate things into a final, master session using import session data. And by offsetting the incoming session data on the timeline, I wonder if it might even get around the marker issue?

BTW, you can somewhat ease your marker issue by coming up with some kind of naming convention to help ID the marker. Personally, I name all my markers starting with the actual marker number, like so: [122] - Verse or [47] - SC21A TK6. This way, when I'm zoomed out and can see several markers, I get a fast visual reminder of the marker number for keying it in (I try to avoid mousing as much as possible).

Cheers,

Tom
Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Why not just make a new session file that corresponds to each backup CD? I think this would make a lot of sense organizationally and shouldn't have too much of a negative impact on your workflow.
Because I need easy access to the previous recordings for reference as we go.

So I'm guessing the answer is NO, you can't move the start point.

Crap. Yet another reason for my boss, who prefers another program, to gloat.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 PM

hi eric

when you go to SETUP > SESSION you can find several offsetting possiblities, will that work for you ?

elisabeth