Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 01:06 AM

Default New Magma Chasis with Old PCI Cards???

I have and still use and love my Mix +++++ and have no need to move up to a HD. The deal just isn't sweet to me. Plus you can't trade in the rest of your cards to make it any lower which is crazy to me and others. The whole deal just doesn't make since. I've talked to about 10 other Mix Plus users and they all say the same thing. They all have huge systems with lot's of Mix Cards and say if they would just make it so we could trade the whole system in and sweeten the deal ALL OF US WOULD BE HD USERS!!!
Anyway, that's not why I'm here. Magma now has a new chasis coming out that will let old PCI cards be read by NEW PCI-E CPU's slot's. First of all that is genius. They need an award just because of that alone.
Anyway, do you think it would be possile for Digi to make the Mix Plus compatible with new cpu's as it was the hardware from my understanding that was holding Mix Plus users to be able to go to G5's and newer software. The cards would not be readable for newer cpu's/software. Now they will be and can be worked with all the newest cpu's. I know that Digi stopped support on Mix sys but, because of these reasons are no longer there would Digi do some updateing for Mix software?
Or am'I missing something else? Which I remember and know I have in a backup somewhere Digi saying why they could no longer support Mix Plus Sytems because of Hardware issuse's.
If this has been covered before then I'm very sorry and could someone point me to this forum but, if not I think this is a very good if not great topic that should be talked about as there are still more Mix Plus users than HD though the line is getting smaller but, not there yet.
Now of course I have to say this. I love Pro Tools Software. The Hardware is ok. The compatibility is ok. I have to also that Digi/Avid would make loads of money doing this move as well. Maybe more so than there HD System's. Everyone that has a Mix would update without a doubt no matter what the cost would be, I know I would but I also have to say that I'm like 90% of all the other Producers/Studio/Writers that I know with Mix Systems say that they are holding out for the next generation of Pro Tools Hardware/Software. The great Pro Tools 8 with 64bit/192khz. I have to agree with them on that.

What made me and I'm not sure if this goes for all the others I know but as for me the main reason I didn't upgrade is this...

1. I bought my system in 2000. Just when Pro Tools was getting most of there Pro User's which I think started in 1999/2000. They came out with the new HD system in 2001/2002. You mean to tell me after 20,000 dollars in Pro Tools Hardware/Software you want me to spend that again? Everybody say's that. Most of them spent way more than that. On Pro Controls, 3 to 4 888/24's-1622's etc.

2. Most Mix users talk about the HD card to HD Accel Card Upgrade swindle. People that bought the HD core and 2 to 3 HD mix Cards then 3 or was it 4 months later they brought out the HD Accel....Boy was there some mad forums then. The Mix owners just watched with grins and laughter saying I told you not to update yet.

3. Then the famous upgrade your Mix to HD swap thing came out and Mix owners were like what? Back then the swap was almost funny like a joke. They would knock off 1,000 or maybe 1,500 then there were no upgrade or updated plugins.

The upgrade value is 10times better but still, not worth the hassle of buying a new cpu, updating for more money the plugin's yada yada plus having to buy more cables at crazy prices just to hookup your cpu to your expansion chasis and so on. With all that the downtime of work to top it off.
Not only that but, Apple was in a transition that made everything worst. They went to OSX Jag to Panther to Tiger and now I think Leopard is next at the end of this year. Within 5 years they have switched 4 major OS's. The first that has ever and maybe the last time that will ever happen.
I know it's been hard for Digi like all other software companies to keep up. Not there fault just really bad timing. If Mac, I think, would have stayed with JAG longer and just updated until they got it right, Digi's HD Systems would have took off like a rocket.

Sorry for getting off subject but I remember a close friend of mine that did update to HD has upgraded his Magma and has a G5 and Jaguar/Panther/Tiger and Logic Pro 7.xxx and so on and he said if he had to do it all again he would have stayed at Mix because of all the hell he went through just to get to this point and the money he spent to get there was not worth the money he made the last three to four years. Also he knows a few Digi workers and said that Digi was trying to find out why Mix users were not upgrading to HD? These are the reasons...without a doubt...

Yes, I will make the move without a doubt as well to Pro Tools 8 or when the new hardware comes out like everyother Mix user but, every Mix user is careful not to fall in the UPGRADE TO HELL PROCESS that keeps you going round and round. Also all of the HD users I know which I must say are a lot but, they all say-Nope...I'm not going through that again....I'm talking 100% of them.

I think for Digi to go back to Mix users and say here....The upgrade to Tiger for all Magma or Digi Expansion users and also here to all HD non/accel users can upgrade as well. That right there would put huge trust back into Digi again so when they do go to PT's 8 everyone including I would be talking Digi up again saying this company is the best without a doubt. Many would switch to Digi from Logic and Cubase/Nuendo because of the overwhelming response to those update/s.

The way they are going right now is wrong...very wrong....

1. Making Pro Tools more expensive...I can't say what a huge mistake that would be long term.

2. So many paying upgrades at a time when not only is music generating less money then ever before, our economy is the worst since before I was born and we are at war time...people hold on to money more.

Who are making these decisions up at Avid/Digi?
I love the product but, when you start raising prices that's not a company that is getting stronger but, showing that they are losing profit/money. Basic 101 money trading terms. When you raise product prices for no reason that shows that a company needs to get lost profit/s back. Next comes premature hirings then major layoff's and so on.
I don't know what I'm taking about...just rambling I guess huh. All I can do is wait and watch.

What do you guys think as I know Digi probably will not answer this email.
Please don't take this email in the wrong way as I think PT's is the best in Audio Editing/Mixing!!! Logic for Midi....I use the MPC3000 for midi. I've just seen Cubase/Nuendo/DP and think software wise Logi'c the best....but please..That's another topic!!!

M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 03-01-2006, 01:57 AM

Default Re: New Magma Chasis with Old PCI Cards???

I think its amazing value to be able to trade in a Mix Core to HD1 PCIe for only $2495 or
Mix Plus to HD2 for $3995 until end of May 2006
On those two deals, I would not be surprised if Digi was doing this at cost.

Cheers Dave
Old 03-01-2006, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I think its amazing value to be able to trade in a Mix Core to HD1 PCIe for only $2495 or
Mix Plus to HD2 for $3995 until end of May 2006
On those two deals, I would not be surprised if Digi was doing this at cost.

Cheers Dave
First of all you can get those cards for that brand new. Second, you would be surprised if you knew how much they really cost. They are making way more then you think and I mean way more!!!

M2E
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

Old 03-01-2006, 10:11 AM

Give me a link to a dealer that can sell me a HD1 system for $2495 or a HD2 system for $3995
Even on Ebay HD1 systems used a selling for around $4000-4500
Old 03-01-2006, 10:28 AM

To answer the topic title, I don't think anyone knows whether these will work until someone tries it, but it is doubtful, since the version of ProTools required to run on Mix probably won't run on the OS of the new machines, even if the cards themselves work. IIRC the reason G5s weren't supported with Mix was due to the cards being too big to fit in the CPU. Speaking from experience, an expansion chassis is an iffy proposition at the best of times - it may work for one rev of the software and/or OS, but they are the first to get dumped from the compatability lists if history is anything to go by.

As a Mix owner who has already done two Digi upgrades (NuBus>PCI>Mix), I am in no hurry to go to HD, since it is not only the cards that need upgrading, but the interfaces and plugins as well. There is no way I can justify that cost while still producing material aimed at a 44.1 CD market.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Give me a link to a dealer that can sell me a HD1 system for $2495 or a HD2 system for $3995
Even on Ebay HD1 systems used a selling for around $4000-4500
Try Dutchmuzik!!! He has the best deals in the world.
Yes HD Core Accel is around 4000 but the Accel cards he sells are only 2199.

Also, thanx Jeff

Marc

Old 03-27-2006, 11:59 AM

This just in from Magma:

"...Thank you for your inquiry. I wish that I had better information for you regarding the MIX cards and G5. Many customers (non MIX card customers) have depended on MAGMA in order to run their legacy PCI card with the G5. However, for unknown reasons, the MIX cards do not work inside the MAGMA chassis off of a G5. Our engineers cannot determine what the problem is. They have pin-pointed the problem to the MIX cards, because no other PCI cards have this problem. We would like to fix this problem, unfortunately the problem lies on Digidesign’s plate. I apologize that I cannot help with your desired configuration. It looks like you will have to stick with a G4 or upgrade your MIX cards.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards...

www.magma.com"

This was in response to my question to Magma today regarding their new PCI to PCI Express expansion chassis (the $1995 one). Pretty much settles the issue... Wouldn't be surprised to discover that Digi counters with information to the effect that the ball in fact is in Apple's court - and both views have been expressed (ad infinitum) elsewhere on the duc...
NADA drum, Calcutta sitar
Other Acoustic Stuff