Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2022, 09:42 PM

Default Re: New "Mac Studio" from Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Wow that is a long wait. Did you go 20 core? How much ram?

LMAO! Yeah. I'd need a PC operator just to get PT open.
I know right!? Stupid long wait. I'm assuming nowhere else in the wold has to wait as long as we do down here in Australia?

I ordered Max with 10-core CPU, 24-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD.

As I've mentioned before here I went from 48GB of RAM to 96GB (In my 12 core 2x 3.46ghz 5,1 cMP) and had zero performance enhancement. In was hoping for some performance enhancement so I'm fairly confident that 64GB of RAM is more than enough for my line of work.

Haha. PC's are horrible for anything other than cooperate stuff I feel.
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 04-10-2022, 06:30 AM

Kings 79 - by barely breathing I meant it was running uphill with hardly any effort.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-10-2022, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
Whatever Kevvieeeee. Keeps spruiking man.

It's the loudest Mac ever built and ARM tech machines are hot. You should stay away from it.
You still don't get it
Why are you so wrapped up in continuing attempts at polarized straw man nonsense . Why not just let go of your hyperbola. "The quietest Desk top ever built" .bla bla bla and telling others what they should not be concerned about .

And just give us something useful like your personal anecdotal experience like "I don't hear it running in my studio under my workflow load". etc. Oh I forgot apparently you are still waiting.....

Your arrogance in suggesting that people who are concerned with how audible it may be, are being "alarmists", is just more nonsense. The only one who seems "alarmed" is you at people who have suggested it is audible to them

I am interested in it expressly because my Mid 2020 Intel iMac is in fact audible, does contribute to a raised noise floor, and does indeed run hot (like 150 to 200 degrees F ) even under what I think are are light to moderate loads on sessions with say 15 to 20 tracks, a few VI's, and maybe 15- 20 plugins.
so please take your smart ass BS and deposit it in your garden where it belongs and may have some benefit.....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-10-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kings79 View Post
I know right!? Stupid long wait. I'm assuming nowhere else in the wold has to wait as long as we do down here in Australia?
I have a 10-12 week wait. it'll be June by the time mine arrives.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I am interested in it expressly because my Mid 2020 Intel iMac is in fact audible, does contribute to a raised noise floor, and does indeed run hot (like 150 to 200 degrees F ) even under what I think are are light to moderate loads on sessions with say 15 to 20 tracks, a few VI's, and maybe 15- 20 plugins.
so please take your smart ass BS and deposit it in your garden where it belongs and may have some benefit.....
Currently for me, having an old cheese grater on the floor away from my monitors is great. I would be concerned to have a Studio on the floor in the same fashion. I agree that we need to hear from those who own, and are using these, what noise they may add to any room or studio scenario.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:43 PM

Hello Mattrixx:

What are you using for storage on your new Mac Studio setup? I have a Glyph Atom EV NVMe drive coming, but I see some users here with the Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks. Thanks in advance for more info about your rig.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:23 PM

Just an update now having mad my 20 Core Mac Studio since around March 18...

I had some issues with drives randomly unmounting. Was really frustrating and seemed to be an ongoing problem in Monterey for many. I think I may have tracked it down and solved it, I have a small raided SSD case (with 2 8tb ssd in it). It draws enough power over USB-C/Thunderbolt to power it. BUT it also has an aux power in (micro USB). Seems like maybe this was drawing too much power over the single cable and causing the system to be pretty unstable. Added the second power cable and no dismounted drives in days, so hoping that solved it.

Machine is dead silent for me under all circumstances so far. I have felt more heat come out of it at times, but it's never gotten 'hot'. I have NOT taxed it with massive sessions for hours at a time though. But in normal use, neither heat or sound are an issue at all.

IT's fast. But ProTools isn't. ProTools runs. And it's fine. But it's not really any faster than my 5.1 Mac Pro. This is obviously Rosetta. I guess PT and sessions open a bit faster (faster drives and ram) but otherwise until we get native ProTools don't expect a huge difference. But in the day to day use of the computer it's amazing. Apps open fast, thing boots in 15 seconds or so, it has power for days and overall is just been very stable and very fast.

And as other notes, my room is dropped by at least 3 to 5 degrees I'd say from the lack a 1500 watt space heater running all day.

The only real bummer, I build a little OWC NVMe box with 4 2tb sticks in it. And it's fast, like 2.3 gigs a second. BUT, and I will never understand why, OWC puts such loud ass fans in their cases. it's ridiculous. This thing is louder than my 5.1 was! If not for this, my room would be silent. I'm contemplating sending it back but so far haven't found anything that can do exactly what this thing can do...
Old 04-10-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post

I had some issues with drives randomly unmounting. Was really frustrating and seemed to be an ongoing problem in Monterey for many. I think I may have tracked it down and solved it, I have a small raided SSD case (with 2 8tb ssd in it). It draws enough power over USB-C/Thunderbolt to power it. BUT it also has an aux power in (micro USB). Seems like maybe this was drawing too much power over the single cable and causing the system to be pretty unstable. Added the second power cable and no dismounted drives in days, so hoping that solved it.

Machine is dead silent for me under all circumstances so far. I have felt more heat come out of it at times, but it's never gotten 'hot'. I have NOT taxed it with massive sessions for hours at a time though. But in normal use, neither heat or sound are an issue at all.

IT's fast. But ProTools isn't. ProTools runs. And it's fine. But it's not really any faster than my 5.1 Mac Pro. This is obviously Rosetta. I guess PT and sessions open a bit faster (faster drives and ram) but otherwise until we get native ProTools don't expect a huge difference. But in the day to day use of the computer it's amazing. Apps open fast, thing boots in 15 seconds or so, it has power for days and overall is just been very stable and very fast.

And as other notes, my room is dropped by at least 3 to 5 degrees I'd say from the lack a 1500 watt space heater running all day.

The only real bummer, I build a little OWC NVMe box with 4 2tb sticks in it. And it's fast, like 2.3 gigs a second. BUT, and I will never understand why, OWC puts such loud ass fans in their cases. it's ridiculous. This thing is louder than my 5.1 was! If not for this, my room would be silent. I'm contemplating sending it back but so far haven't found anything that can do exactly what this thing can do...
I have 2 Sonnet Dual Echo NVMe docks and I don't hear them! At least not yet. They get warm but not enough to warm the room up like my old 5.1's did. And actually, I'm still using one of the 5.1s for email, writing etc. And it's STILL way cooler. My thermostat doesn't lie! According to andy at Sonnet, the 4TB Raid 0 dock is 3000 mb/s and the other, w two separate NVMe's is about half that each.
And the Sonnet docks only hold two sticks. If I remember right, they were $350 each. One dock = 4TB for virtual instruments, the other 2X1TB for Pro Tools sessions. I know I could use the internal drive for Pro Tools sessions but after decades of doing it the old way I just couldn't shake the habit.
Mac Studio Ultra / 128 RAM/2TB HD / Avid HDX Chassis / 2 X Sonnet Echo Dual NVMe Thunderbolt Docks w Samsung 970 EVO Plus (6TB) / Avid C24 / Avid 16X16 I/O Analog / Lynx Aurora 16/16 1/O Analog / Dangerous 2 Bus / Benchmark ADC1
www.glasswing.com
www.richardsales.com
Old 04-10-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
Kings 79 - by barely breathing I meant it was running uphill with hardly any effort.
How good is that!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
I have a 10-12 week wait. it'll be June by the time mine arrives.
Crazy huh. Where are you?

Quote:

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. Silent and cool. Looking forward to saving on power 2X.

That's a real bonus that the room temp drops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswing View Post
I have 2 Sonnet Dual Echo NVMe docks and I don't hear them! At least not yet. They get warm but not enough to warm the room up like my old 5.1's did. And actually, I'm still using one of the 5.1s for email, writing etc. And it's STILL way cooler. My thermostat doesn't lie! According to andy at Sonnet, the 4TB Raid 0 dock is 3000 mb/s and the other, w two separate NVMe's is about half that each.
And the Sonnet docks only hold two sticks. If I remember right, they were $350 each. One dock = 4TB for virtual instruments, the other 2X1TB for Pro Tools sessions. I know I could use the internal drive for Pro Tools sessions but after decades of doing it the old way I just couldn't shake the habit.
They sound great. Might have to look into those.
OS Monterey
ProTools Ultimate 2022.4
Presonus Quantum 4848
Mac Studio M1 10 Core, 64gig RAM
Sonnet Echo dual NVMe TB Dock
Blackmagic Decklink 3G
Old 04-11-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Currently for me, having an old cheese grater on the floor away from my monitors is great. I would be concerned to have a Studio on the floor in the same fashion. I agree that we need to hear from those who own, and are using these, what noise they may add to any room or studio scenario.

C
Yes my previous machine (before the iMac) was a mid 2010 5.1 and was also on the floor under my desk and before installing a Metal Graphics was not noticeable sound wise . After the graphics card with its fans it was noticeable (but barely) and was not getting into my mics (which I set up about 6-8 ft away from my desk) . The iMac (I suppose being on top of the desk shelf (putting it right at ear/eye level ) is more noticeable especially when the fans ramp

Quote:
Just an update now having mad my 20 Core Mac Studio since around March 18..

But in the day to day use of the computer it's amazing. Apps open fast, thing boots in 15 seconds or so, it has power for days and overall is just been very stable and very fast.
Very encouraging to hear thanks for the update

Quote:
I agree the fan in my OWC NVMe enclosure also with 4 PCIe sticks and it is loud all the time ( I am assuming because the fans are cheap and always on full speed ) It would unacceptable when trying to record with mic's ..Fortunately I only use it to back up completed sessions Thanks again for your update

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...