Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 AM

Default Does HD Native Need A Interface To Run ?

Just want to clarify these 3 things.

1 - HD Native can run with no interface at all ? Or no does it need a interface to run ?

2 - Regardless of the answer to #1, can HD Native be ran by/clocked to a 3rd party AD/DA Converter for your ins and outs ? Or IF using/needing a interface, does it need to be ONLY ran by a Avid one ?

3 - If answer to the first part of #2 is yes (third party interfaces do work) - Does the 3rd party AD/DA converter used to run/clock HD Native for your ins and outs need to be connected via the mini digiplugs on the Native card itself (in other words a company that makes one to plug into that specifically ?) OR can HD Native be ran/clocked to a AD/DA converter that is plugged in via Firewire ? OR does both ways work ?

Thanks in advance for all help and clarifications -
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 11-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Does HD Native Need A Interface To Run ?

HD Native comes with HD software (either 9 or 10), which means it can run with 3rd party firewire/usb interfaces, or with no interface, etc., just like regular Protools 9 and 10 can. In that situation it runs like regular Protools with the Complete Production Toolkit. I believe this is the case even if the card is installed but no HD interface is hooked up to it.

There are certain 3rd party interfaces that will connect to the HD Native card where the system sees it like it was an Avid HD interface. This includes the Apogee Symphony IO, Lynx Aurora, and maybe a couple of others. In that case it is running like a full HD system, just as if an Avid HD interface was hooked up.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
HD Native comes with HD software (either 9 or 10), which means it can run with 3rd party firewire/usb interfaces, or with no interface, etc., just like regular Protools 9 and 10 can. In that situation it runs like regular Protools with the Complete Production Toolkit. I believe this is the case even if the card is installed but no HD interface is hooked up to it.
That's right, as of Pro Tools 9 and higher, you can switch Playback Engines, even though, a Native card is seated with connected I/O or not. This includes, Avid Firewire devices, Avid USB devices and Core Audio or ASIO devices in regards to WIN.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
There are certain 3rd party interfaces that will connect to the HD Native card where the system sees it like it was an Avid HD interface. This includes the Apogee Symphony IO, Lynx Aurora, and maybe a couple of others. In that case it is running like a full HD system, just as if an Avid HD interface was hooked up.
Tell me nst7 isn't running supported third party I/O with Native card produce greater latency than with a connected Avid I/O?
Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
That's right, as of Pro Tools 9 and higher, you can switch Playback Engines, even though, a Native card is seated with connected I/O or not. This includes, Avid Firewire devices, Avid USB devices and Core Audio or ASIO devices in regards to WIN.
Thanks so much for the answers guys !

Quote:
Tell me nst7 isn't running supported third party I/O with Native card produce greater latency than with a connected Avid I/O?
And then this was my next question as well. But I was gonna word it more like: Which Native HD compatible I/O device has the least latency ?

Cause I am HOPING it is a 3rd party one. lol -
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Which Native HD compatible I/O device has the least latency?
Any Avid I/O would be my pick.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Any Avid I/O would be my pick.
Dang, that would suck if true. Then again it would make sense. The makers of the software would have a edge over that particular spec (latency) maybe more than others. But they sure don't have a edge over the spec "sounding good" lol

I just hope it aint true. But if it is, I am sure it is not by much. Especially at 96k or higher. And to me, sound quality takes precedence anyway. I do not want to side track the thread with that pissing war, but for me, PERSONALLY, I do notice a difference from a mile away, and I do not like Digidesign/Avid interfaces. Between their bad power supply design, clocks, mediocre conversion and just ok analog circuitry, they just do not cut it for my ears.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]