Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Yosemite compatibility for PT11 after December 31, 2014 promotion ends?

I keep checking technical alerts in anticipation of the PT11 Yosemite update.

I'm wondering if the update won't be released until after the current promotion?

Is the Yosemite update going to be considered a major paid update? If you aren't signed up for the support plan, will you get it?

From what I'm reading here, those not on the support plan will only get bug fixes.

Is compatibility with a new OS considered a "fix" or an upgrade?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Yosemite compatibility for PT11 after December 31, 2014 promotion ends?

In the past, compatibility updates were considered bugfixes. Case in point, 11.0.3 added Mavericks support. Bugfix updates (so-called "dot" releases) are free, even without a support plan.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Yosemite compatibility for PT11 after December 31, 2014 promotion ends?

Great. That makes sense. Thanks for pointing that out! Feeling better now.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:34 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Now I must say that I know absolutely nothing about Avid release dates, but should I have to guess, they are working 24/7 to get Yosemite support out this year. Just my educated guess, nothing more.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:18 PM

The architecture of Avid's support plan is brand new and there's no precedence for the availability of updates of this kind. Of course OS compatibility was free in the past because those updates remained within the version of PT you were running, but that's now how they're positioning themselves anymore. Make no mistake, this new plan is about making money and one major opportunity for Avid to make money is in new OS releases.

Can anyone *guarantee* that the update for Yosemite will be on-the-house for all current customers?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
The architecture of Avid's support plan is brand new and there's no precedence for the availability of updates of this kind. Of course OS compatibility was free in the past because those updates remained within the version of PT you were running, but that's now how they're positioning themselves anymore. Make no mistake, this new plan is about making money and one major opportunity for Avid to make money is in new OS releases.

Can anyone *guarantee* that the update for Yosemite will be on-the-house for all current customers?

Well i can guarantee you there is no one here who can guarantee anything regarding what's included and when or if it is a free update but if I were a betting man I would bet that the Yosemite update will be a free update.

And as to the comment about Avid trying to get back on their feet and make money, what company doesn't aim for that? Avid isn't a non profit organisation but I would be surprised if that update is the first one for the new support plan and I hope Avid makes good on the delivering updates and fixes promise even though they need to make money so they can afford to keep up with Apples constant moving targets. A lot of this is Avid chasing Apples tail and we should not assume that it is cheap for them

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-13-2014, 09:03 AM

An update is not an upgrade.

An update is bug fixes.

An upgrade is new features.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

An update is bug fixes.

We all know that, but will the Yosemite update be free to all users, especially those who've not opted for the "plan?" Has this been established with certainty? It's an important question for many people who are considering the necessity of the plan. There's been heated debate about it and, from what I've seen, Avid's language is unclear. I'd love for someone, preferably from Avid, to step out to express certainty in one direction or the other. Even "it's undecided" would be an answer.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

An update is bug fixes.

True - but I think that sometimes the lines blur.

What if the release that offered Yosemite compatibility also offered new features? Then, it would be an upgrade and also have the distinction of being the only version of Pro Tools qualified for Yosemite.

That is what some people might worry about.

Similar to how Pro Tools 11 is qualified for Mavericks and Pro Tools 10 never was or ever will be.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbach View Post
Similar to how Pro Tools 11 is qualified for Mavericks and Pro Tools 10 never was or ever will be.
Pro Tools 11 released before Mavericks, so it's a different story - PT10 was one generation behind current. Yosemite and Pro Tools 11 being the current versions, I'm certain a (free) compatibility update is coming.

Personally, I think Apple needs to slow their roll. I'd like to see them focus more on improving their latest versions instead of releasing a new one every year. Or at least give the option of downgrades for new computers. I don't think Apple and Avid will ever be in lockstep, but it would be nice for PT/OSX users to not worry when purchasing a new machine.