Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Default All MIDI Notes Disappear in a Clip-BUG (see Video)

I have run into this in a few sessions where I record a take on an instrument track. After I finish the pass, I will go to edit notes within the region in the Midi Editor. When I move one note, all of the rest of the notes disappear, but the note I am moving stays in tact. If I undo, all the notes come back. If I render the region and then move the note, it is back to normal. If I close down the session and reopen it, things are back to normal.

Anybody else see this? I'm pretty sure all my plugs are up to date. This is in Pro Tools 10.0 and my specs are below.

I'm not sure if I can recreate the bug, it is intermittent for me. I'll keep trying to figure it out. When it happened to me today in a session, I immediately saved it in a file and then later when I reopened it to explore the bug, it wouldn't do it anymore.

EDIT: HERE IS A VIDEO OF THIS BUG I QUOTE THE VIDEO LATER IN THE FORUM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zchsw...=youtube_gdata At the beginning, I try to just delete the chord and all of the midi disappears. Then you see me moving the chord around and all the midi disappears.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Default Re: All MIDI Notes Disappear in a Region Bug

Same here. I keep forgetting to post about it here and the Ideascale so I'm glad someone else has seen it as well at least. Very annoying and disconcerting. The notes are in fact deleted, fwiw - I've tested it when it happened - they won't play back, so anyone seeing this needs to be careful to watch for this one or you could lose a take.

It doesn't happen all the time, but does seem to be more common after working for a while in a larger session. I have yet to find a way to stop it with a given track, so I just drop out of editing that track, open a new clip, and go back to the first - sometimes that seems to help, others not so much.

Win7x64 and PT10.0 here, so it isn't a Mac or Win specific bug. Just PT10.

Between this and a few other issues, it seems like midi took a nose dive into the back seat with PT10.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Hmmm... my only suggestion would be to post again when you have a reproducible case on a newly created session. What troubleshooting tips have you ran through? I would start with the basics like trashing the Prefs first and see if the behaviour repeats.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dterry View Post
Between this and a few other issues, it seems like midi took a nose dive into the back seat with PT10.
What are those other issues?
Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Hmmm... my only suggestion would be to post again when you have a reproducible case on a newly created session. What troubleshooting tips have you ran through? I would start with the basics like trashing the Prefs first and see if the behaviour repeats.
Fwiw, I'm on Win7 and a new install of PT10 - the upgrade removes PT9, so there are no prefs to trash.

It's a bug in PT10. Never saw it in 9 on the same system and I work with midi all day everyday.

I'm sure the OP will post one, as will I, if we find one, but so far it isn't predictable, which is the most common condition for most bugs, so this may be one of those Avid will need to investigate in concept - i.e. it the code for editing midi clips in the key editor would be a great place to start.

Quote:
What are those other issues?
Serious delays in tempo editing with large track counts; delayed record enable with large track counts; delayed record-stop with large midi track counts (posted in another thread and already listed with Avid, so just an fyi - no need to expand on these and detour this thread).
Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM

I think your statement of Pro Tools 10 MIDI has taken a nose dive is absurd dterry based on a current non-reproducible case and a processing lag only after exceeding two hundred MIDI tracks. Seriously.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM

dterry,

Thank you for posting too. I searched the forums and I can't find anybody else mentioning this bug, but I too work a lot in MIDI in Pro Tools and that is why I think I am seeing this bug more than others have seen it. I have never seen this bug in Pro Tools 8 HD (where I was before I went to 10).

Please, if there are others who have seen this, please post any information you have. I will try to capture a video of it if I can get it to happen again.

Thanks.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
I will try to capture a video of it if I can get it to happen again.
I don't mean to be critical but we believe you when you say that there is a problem, the point is, that problem needs to be capable of being reproduced inhouse otherwise there is no bug.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I don't mean to be critical but we believe you when you say that there is a problem, the point is, that problem needs to be capable of being reproduced inhouse otherwise there is no bug.
A video says way more than I could possibly type in a post. It shows exactly what happens and is going on. It allows Avid to see general settings, what is being done and etc. The video isn't for proof as much as it would be for communication and explanation.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 01-05-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I think your statement of Pro Tools 10 MIDI has taken a nose dive is absurd dterry based on a current non-reproducible case and a processing lag only after exceeding two hundred MIDI tracks. Seriously.
My work is scoring for a living, and compared to PT9 and 8, yes, midi did take a nose dive comparatively (yet I still prefer it to other options, if that tells you why I'm taking what little time I have to participate here).

The processing lag was reproduced by Avid tech support and escalated due to the severity (thanks to the Sr. Tech support rep who worked with me on this), so it is anything but absurd, and completely reproducible on any Win7/PT10 system. I would suggest you try recutting tempo mapping for even just a 2 minute film score cue with this bug before you blast me for what I consider a serious issue.

Quote:
Please do not derail this thread with defensive assumptions. This is a noticeable issue reported by pro midi users. If you would like to help uncover this, we would be most appreciative. If not, please let us discuss this with other affected users and hopefully, DTS. Thanks.