Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM

Default Waves LoAir inconsistent output level?

This is my first time using this kind of plug in, so I'm not sure if this is specific to LoAir or inherent to subharmonic synthesizers - but I'm getting inconsistent output levels using LoAir in PT. I often get differences of 3-8 db playing the same piece of audio at different times.

I'm on 8.1.1, OSX 10.6.7 and the latest version of Waves 360 tools.

Anybody else experience this?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Waves LoAir inconsistent output level?

Where are you seeing these levels, or how are you measuring the differences that you are experiencing? Are you saying that the exact same audio produces different levels in the meters and it not an automation issue?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_grimmace View Post
This is my first time using this kind of plug in, so I'm not sure if this is specific to LoAir or inherent to subharmonic synthesizers - but I'm getting inconsistent output levels using LoAir in PT. I often get differences of 3-8 db playing the same piece of audio at different times.

I'm on 8.1.1, OSX 10.6.7 and the latest version of Waves 360 tools.

Anybody else experience this?
I've noticed that too with lowender, but I think it more had to do with maybe I wasn't starting from the same spot all the time.

It may have something to do with the plugin latency as well. If I'm working sub send stuff, I try to always start from the same place.
Doesn't always respond the same if I have to start later in the mix for longer runs.

I tried loair before lowender. Dumped loair for lowender after first pass. Get lowender. It is much closer to the 120
Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
Where are you seeing these levels, or how are you measuring the differences that you are experiencing? Are you saying that the exact same audio produces different levels in the meters and it not an automation issue?
Differences in output levels are easily perceptible, but are also visible in both the output meters of LoAir and the channel and bus meters of my Pro Tools Session.

@lexaudio

I bought lowender recently and like it a lot. The control over 2 different bands of bass synthesis and the bass gate are great features. Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same issue with this lowender.

Not sure why starting at one point or another in the session would be an issue?

If plug in latency caused some artifacts (delay compensation is on, so this _shouldn't_ be the case) wouldn't the artifacts be identical every time?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 PM

I have seen problems with the waves surround bundle as far as L360 loosing or nor reading it's automation. If you have the L360 engaged this can be causing a problem if it is misreading it's automation level but it depends how you are bussing the low air within the session. I have had no problems with lowender or renbass.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:42 PM

Hmm, LoAir is not being automated, so that shouldn't be an issue. I have several audio tracks routed directly to a stereo aux that the LoAir plug in is instantiated on.

I haven't had problems with RBass, but it is a bit of a different beast, as it is only a harmonics and not a bass synthesis plug...

It seems as if the issue is with the bass synthesis (as opposed to the harmonic component.) I'm using the plug in as a sound design tool, rather than strictly an LFE generator, so the artifacts are probably more pronounced than they would be otherwise.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM

Definitely seeing this with both LoAir and Lowender. I just don't think you can get consistent play back from subharmonic generators, but maybe I'm wrong…
Old 04-25-2012, 07:16 PM

Must have to do with the internal processing of the plug ins.

Only way really around it would be a hardware dbx 120

LEX
Old 04-26-2012, 01:51 AM

I also noticed these issues, so my method is (although it might sound old school) is to print Lo-Air to a track. Of course it's easier to do during sound design than on a mix, but it works for me.