Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 12:01 AM

Default Re: PC MACLAN help

DAVE!!!

Using it every day between my PT/Mac rig and ACID/Giga PC rig.

I believe one of the advantages of DAVE over some of the other Mac/PC networking solutions is that DAVE uses TCP/IP over ethernet directly rather than going through AppleTalk (a slower option). All I know is I can define a folder on my PC as "shared", then mount it via the chooser in my Mac (you can set it up to auto-mount shared PC resources on startup if you like) and from that point I can drag items in and out of the shared folder with ease.

Often I'll assemble a bunch of loops in ACID at the tempo of my PT session, then render them individually to a shared folder on the PC, then access that folder directly from Pro Tool's "import" dialog to bring the loops into my session. Quick, painless and elegant.

I believe you can share both ways using DAVE as well ... I just have the Mac as the "master" at the moment.

Another cool cross platform utility I've just installed on the PC is a software product called MacDrive web pageMediaFour/MacDrive5.0

It allows a PC to read Mac formatted hard drives and removeable media (CD-ROMs, ZIP/JAZ, etc.). Another cool way to minimize the platform obstacles.

Best,

maxx