Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2003, 11:14 AM

Default Download Pro Tools session to mp3 player

Can anyone explain to me how to take all the various WAV files one creates while making a Pro Tools session and collapse them down to a normal stereo track so that I can download it into my Nomad Jukebox?
Old 02-24-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Download Pro Tools session to mp3 player

Quote:
Originally posted by facethemusic:
Can anyone explain to me how to take all the various WAV files one creates while making a Pro Tools session and collapse them down to a normal stereo track so that I can download it into my Nomad Jukebox?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you don't have the MP3 option in PTLE then go into Files/Bounce to Disk/ Select 44.1 16 bit , Stereo Interleaved .wav file. Name the file something unique that you will remember. Then get a free copy of Music Match Jukebox from www.musicmatch.com and convert the wav file to MP3. I don't remember which menu the convert function is under so look around. It is very easy to do though. Go into options to set up the conversion info. Not sure what quality your player requires, but you can change the MP3 options to fit your needs. If you have the MP3 option in PTLE, just bounce to disk in MP3.
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 11:24 AM

You can bounce to disk using the MP3 option. That's a one-step operation; makes a stereo mix to MP3.
I think you can use the MP3 option for free for 30 days- should be included in your PT Codecs. Full-time license is just $20 and well worth it.

Another way to go would be bounce to a 44.1/16 bit stereo interleaved file then use Winamp or some other outside utility to convert to MP3.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:32 AM

jeez one minute too late!
Old 02-24-2003, 11:37 AM

So you think the PT mp3 tool is superior to other brands out there? Honestly, since the demise of Napster i havent used one very often, and have been relying on my Xing encoder for several years now. Is the PT or music match honestly any better than some other software out there? It would sem to me that encoding an mp3 is a process that would be very similar from software to software.
What are the advantages of using the PT version?
Old 02-24-2003, 11:38 AM

You can say that again! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2003, 11:45 AM

Alright guys, you can take over for the rest of the week. I'm out of here. Hea hea.
Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2003, 05:16 PM

[/QUOTE]If you don't have the MP3 option in PTLE then go into Files/Bounce to Disk/ Select 44.1 16 bit , Stereo Interleaved .wav file.

Why is it necessary to select 16 bit when it seems to default to 24 bit? When I use the "stereo interleaved", the end resulting WAV file does not have the panning I created in the original audio tracks. Please show me the procedure to maintain the panning in the "bounced" WAV file.
I didn't make myself clear when I originally posted this question. My Nomad Jukebox can convert WAV files to mp3 files easily. I just want to combine all of the audio tracks created in a Pro Tools session to one stereo WAV file so that I can then transfer this one whole project WAV file to my Nomad Jukebox which will then do the WAV file conversion to mp3.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:05 PM

If your MP3 application can convert 24 bit files into MP3's and do the dithering from 24 down to the bitrate in a way that sounds good to you for the MP3's- then, go to it!

Digi provides a dither plugin that can handle that step while doing the bounce- I think it's a safe bet that MP3 is not 24 bits. That means that dithering is used to correct the shortening of the word length from 24 down to whatever the MP3 is..

My pan automation is preserved in my bounces- I have no guess as to what's happening to yours. Sounds like a good topic for a separate thread!

Frankly I couldn't tell you offhand what resolution MP3 winds up at; I just apply dither on my master fader, choose MP3 in my PT bounce menu, and the session mixes down to MP3 in one step.