Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 10:36 AM

Default using Pro Tools LE with Mac vs. PC

To all Pro Tools LE users: I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how Pro Tools LE (using an MBox) can be expected to perform using a PowerBook (running OSX) with 1GB ram, 1.3GHz processor versus a PC (Toshiba laptop running XPPro) with 1GB ram, 2.8GHz processor, 800MHz system bus. Of course it is widely said that a Mac will handle multimedia better than a PC, but I have heard some people give different opinions as of lately, and I was wondering if there are some people out there who have tried using both and could offer some input on this issue. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: using Pro Tools LE with Mac vs. PC

im going to be the voice of dissent of the PC side today. Going in, i think the Mac will do a better job. With a few tweaks, your pc will most likely outdo your mac. are you saying you have both a mac and a pc?

why not run both?
ev
Old 10-05-2004, 11:21 AM

Thanks ev -- I actually own a PC now, and I've been running Pro Tools LE on it. It's a great set up, and it has proved to be pretty sufficient, but I guess I'm just curious if a mac is worth the consideration if I get in the market to upgrade in the near future.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:23 PM

hey,
i personally enjoy the mac interface better than pc, but that doesnt mean that the macs are better performing. after a few tweaks and most likely another stick of RAM, you can have a pc that will run much better than a mac straight out of the box. Check out the Best Laptops for PTLE in this forum, its up at the top of the page.
ev
Old 10-06-2004, 08:15 AM

Just for a bit of alternative influence - I use PTLE and Reason extensively on a PC. If I used them on a Mac then the UI would be pretty much identical so I wouldn't really notice much difference. I don't use the system for anything other than music, so no big deal. Cheaper band for buck performance wise though. OTOH, I'd still love to run a Mac instead, I just always find other things to spend the difference in $$ on instead!

G5 iMac 20" 1.8GHz 1GB 160GB / Lacie FW80GB
OSX 10.3.5 / MBox / PTLE 6.7
Old 10-06-2004, 11:18 PM

my personal opinion: that mac doesn't have enough power to run LE effectively. say what you will about interface, price, blah, blah. really what it comes down to is: when you've got LE open, how fast and smooth will it run? and the toshiba will cream the powerbook in that department. i was recently in a studio and we were using a powerbook connected to my digi002 because we had a piece of MIDI hardware that we didn't have Windows drivers for, and even the guy who owns the powerbook was lamenting at how anemic the CPU was. it was bogging down to the point where it was interfereing with our ability to run the session, which to me is totally unacceptable. in contrast, a PC with those specs would have handled what we were doing without batting an eye.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:28 AM

Just want to say I was using my Mbox with an G4 Imac until the power supply burnt out. It cost 640 Euros and almost 3 months waiting to get it repaired here in Germany, (the warranty had expired about 6 months before). In the meantime I bought an Emachines laptop and have been amazed at the difference in performance, especially considering the price difference. I'm now left wondering what to do with Imac.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Just want to say I was using my Mbox with an G4 Imac until the power supply burnt out. It cost 640 Euros and almost 3 months waiting to get it repaired here in Germany, (the warranty had expired about 6 months before). In the meantime I bought an Emachines laptop and have been amazed at the difference in performance, especially considering the price difference. I'm now left wondering what to do with Imac.
I'd recommend iSell

Allen
Old 10-07-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:
To all Pro Tools LE users: I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how Pro Tools LE (using an MBox) can be expected to perform using a PowerBook (running OSX) with 1GB ram, 1.3GHz processor versus a PC (Toshiba laptop running XPPro) with 1GB ram, 2.8GHz processor, 800MHz system bus. Of course it is widely said that a Mac will handle multimedia better than a PC, but I have heard some people give different opinions as of lately, and I was wondering if there are some people out there who have tried using both and could offer some input on this issue. Thanks!
There are some differences. The newer Powerbooks are far better than the 1Ghz or below for PTLE performance. The Powerbook is built better than the Toshiba hardware wise and is more sleek and better looking and feeling. I have both and I would never buy another Toshiba. They are a plastic piece of [bleep] in my opinion and I think Toshiba does everything possible to make XP run slower and unstable. If you do buy one just reformat the system drive and reinstall XP.
The Powerbooks have been very reliable on long sessions and do allow the lower buffer settings. When you are tracking having alot of plugins is not important. Now when it comes to mixing the PC is going to shine and you may consider using a desktop computer or take it to a pro studio and have it professionally mixed.
Interface wise, after I have been on both OSX and XP, I like the OSX environment better than XP and it certainly is easier to add hardware to. I hate having to hunt down drivers on the internet because XP doesn't have it.
I'd either get the E-Machines 6809 or 6811 or the new Powerbook. I'm sure the G5 processor will be released soon for the Powerbook this winter.
Allen
Old 10-07-2004, 02:19 PM

please correct me if i´m wrong, but i´ve heard a rumor that there might be some other pc laptop manufacturers out there...