Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 AM

Default best laptop for my 001

hey all,

i havnt posted on here for ages and last time it was regarding my mac, however, i have recently bagan a course in IT and have decided to purchase a laptop, as im also undertaking a recording venture at my local rehearsal studio where i have recently aquired a job, i have to also decided to get something with enough balls to run something like Cubase and using core audio drivers run it through my 001(unless i can install protools on the pc as well on my mac, in which case, ill be happy with that.)

I noticed the dedicated thread for best laptops for protools but as i need to run older technology, i figured id just make my own...obviously ill need something with the correct ports to connect my 001. i dont NEED, but i would LIKE enough power to do some in depth mixing and programming, so lots of RAM, fast processor, large cache, and fast FSB are all gonna be factors i need to consider.

this site was a big help with my last protools related decision so im hoping you guys can let me know whats the best laptop for me, i know that pentiums are more powerful but chew through batteries quicker, i really havnt looked at that many, models coz i wanted to run it past you all first.

i had a look through the digidesign website at the recomended computers but that just served to confuse me. i realise this question has probably been asked before, but any help will be much appreciated.

i just realised that i wont be able to run the latest protools which has (i hear) much improved MIDI so i might just go with Cubase , but id still like to know if i can register protools on my laptop(when i get it) and my mac.

please ask any further quesitons if you need more info, im trying to keep the price down but im willing ot spend a bit.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Ryan

PS, i was just dion a little more research adn of course the 001 has a PCI card in the computer, does this mean i would need to swap it to run tools on a PC. could i run a third party software(ie Cubase) on a seperate PC wihtout the need to install the PCI card?

thanks again for all helpful replies, im just tryin to make sure i get the right PC for the job...if possible.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: best laptop for my 001

pps, i have found a laptop that looks great on paper, but im not sure if it is suitable for audio, etc. here is the link

http://www.p4laptops.com.au/products.htm

its the second one down, priced-$2,975-millenia 7200

it seems like a great price, of course its a pentium as opposed to a centrino so im ont really gonna be able to take it to the forest and record fo ages but its still portable as long as i have a power supply, its still convenient, but still, id love to be able to go to the forest with my laptop...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:07 AM

you can't use the 001 with a laptop it wont work without the pci card and you can't put the 001 pci card in a laptop only a desktop. Look on the digidesign websight unser support and then compatibility. You can also check out best desktops for Protools LE, and best laptops for Protools LE in the Duc. I use a dell 8600 with an 002r Works great. Best advise do your research.
Sorin
Old 02-08-2005, 11:20 AM

Not actually true, you CAN use a PCI card with a laptop but the external PCI chassis are very expensive. Check out Magma (google it) for what I understand are considered the best in this field.

Joe
512mbs Ram
Reason 1.0
Old 02-08-2005, 11:37 AM

And for the price of The Magma You're better off buying the 002r...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-08-2005, 07:35 PM

ok well that sucks, those PCI card expansions are lookin really pricy, thanks for the enlightenment though. maybe ill just go for a cheaper audio interface to run some third party software for mobile recording(and hopefully MIDI) and then bounce it down to protools on my mac for mixing.

anyone know any decent third party audio cards (non digidesign) that are cheap but still have decent converters, pres and hopefully enough i/o to record a drum kit.

or perhaps an alternative solution

thanks lud
Old 02-09-2005, 08:41 PM

any help would be great dudes...
Old 02-09-2005, 11:47 PM

Either go for N-Track or Mackie Tracktion if you want inexpensive multi-track software. I think the Presonus Firewire is the cheapest your going to find with enough i/o to record drums.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:41 AM

thanx a lot man, ill go check them out now...
Old 02-10-2005, 01:53 AM

i found out that the presonus firebox comes with Cubase LE so im currently tryin to find out the differences between Cubase LE and SX or SL...hopefully LE is decent and ill be happy to use that, ive used SX B4 i found it pretty cool, the MIDIs good, and the audio is sufficient enough for portable recording purposes, limited to 48 tracks, but still a lot more than Ptools LE. im just tryin to find out the rest of the differences hopefully none too major and ill be stoked, as long as the firebox dont cost too much, im still researching that...