How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2022, 05:55 PM

Default Pro Tools (Windows) To (Mac)

Hello everyone,

So currently I run Pro Tools 12 on windows 10 but I want to upgrade to Apollo Twin and run it on a Mac. Don't want to install Thunderbolt on my PC set up. I was wondering if I purchase a Mac and I plug in my iLok (2nd Gen) I can download Pro Tools 12 and use it on the mac with no problems.

Thank you
Old 02-16-2022, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools (Windows) To (Mac)

Yes. Your iLok will work on a Mac and you can download the appropriate version of Protools for either platform (Windows or MacOS).

On a side note, UA does make an Apollo Twin the connects via USB (I think it is USB 3.0) for Windows computers.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 02-16-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Yes. Your iLok will work on a Mac and you can download the appropriate version of Protools for either platform (Windows or MacOS).

On a side note, UA does make an Apollo Twin the connects via USB (I think it is USB 3.0) for Windows computers.
Thank you for the info!! I looked into that but saw that they stopped making them. Didn't want to buy one somewhere then not be able to get any updates
Old 02-16-2022, 11:09 PM

Where did you see that they stopped making them? The Universal Audio website still list the Apollo Twin USB as a current product.

https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfa...-twin-usb.html

I could not find any mention of it being out of production or being discontinued. I think they keep it in their product line for people that have a Window computer without Thunderbolt. However I do see that it is an older design and colowith the silver color, so you may be right in that it would be on the back end of its product life cycle compared to the other products in the Apollo Twin line (some Apollo Solo interfaces also have the silver finish, but the majority of the current interfaces have the darker anodized grey finish).

I see your point in wanting to go with a Mac to take advantage of the faster Thunderbolt I/O with the other Apollo Twin interfaces.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
Old 02-17-2022, 02:08 AM

UA products on USB and Firewire are very limited and you should be sure you want to go down that path before starting.

Also, you cannot use Luna with Windows, only with Apple, even if you have Thunderbolt Apollo(s).

Loads of stuff on the UAD forums about all of this.

Dominic
Old 02-17-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KXNG iLLuSioN View Post
Hello everyone,

So currently I run Pro Tools 12 on windows 10 but I want to upgrade to Apollo Twin and run it on a Mac. Don't want to install Thunderbolt on my PC set up. I was wondering if I purchase a Mac and I plug in my iLok (2nd Gen) I can download Pro Tools 12 and use it on the mac with no problems.

Thank you
If you purchase a new Mac (M1, M1 Mac, M1 Pro) and it comes with Monterey installed, ilok aside, you will have a hard time running Pro Tools 12 on any Mac running Monterey or even Big Sur.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
...you will have a hard time running Pro Tools 12 on any Mac running Monterey or even Big Sur.
^^^Good point. You'll need to upgrade your version of Protools to something current just to be able to use it with Big Sur via Rosetta2. At this moment, it is certified to work on Big Sur but there are still some issues with some plugins and some folks still report GUI lagging issues and some bugs. Monterey (which is required on the current M1 Pro and M1 Max based computers) is not officially certified yet (although a few folks are able to run it) and will need to be updated before it is (maybe a few update cycles). In either case, Protools is not written to run natively on Apple Silicon yet and must run via Rosetta2 for now. No one know when a version or Protools will be ready to run natively on M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max, (and the yet to be released M2) processors. It works in Intel processors but if you are looking to buy a new Mac, you are probably considering one with the new Apple Silicon processors.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB