Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2016, 10:02 AM

Default Extremely High CPU Usage with Lynx Aurora and PT 12.5

I am having a problem getting Pro Tools 12.5 to work properly with the Aurora 16/LS-TB under Windows 10 Pro.

Configuration: Pro Tools PC Rack-mount PC (ASUS X99a, Intel i7-5930K, 32GB, 4x1TB SSD drives, ASUS Thunderbolt II Dual, Windows 10 Pro), LS-TB Firmware 5.5 and 6.0 both result in the same behavior. Pro Tool settings are at their default.

This is a new computer and the problem is that audio is distorted in Pro Tools due to cpu usage (as measured by the Pro Tools System Usage tool) is maxed out at 95-100%. This is with or without loading a session. Just sitting idle. The Windows Task Manager shows only 9-11% cpu utilization. If I switch from the Aurora to any other audio device Pro Tools works as expected and the PT System Monitor drops down to < 3% when idle with or without a session loaded. When playing the Pro Tools demo session through any audio device other than the Aurora the cpu usage is 9%.

Studio One and Sonar don't have any problem using the Aurora/LS-TB. I gather from various entries I have found in multiple forums that other people have this working. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve the issue?

Thanks.

Last edited by don4777; 05-15-2016 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Edit title to reflect recent findings
Old 05-14-2016, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Extremely High CPU Usage with Lynx LS-TB and PT 12.5

Increase buffer size to 2048,
Activate Dynamic Plugin Processing. "Artificial Intelligence."
Disable ignore Errors,
Disable Low Latency.
Click: User lists^
Click: Add to ignore list.
Solved.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the response.

I should have mentioned that I have tried various buffer sizes including 2048 and it didn't help. Even if it did it kind of defeats the purpose of moving to Thunderbolt. I can run with the USB interface at 32 or 64.

I'll check the Dynamic Plugin Processing setting.

It seems strange that

1: Pro Tools thinks the CPU utilization is 100% while Task Manager thinks it is 9%. Studio One and Sonar think it is ~9% which agrees with Task Manager.

2: The LS-TB interface is extremely fast and problem-free with Studio One, Sonar, and even iTunes.

Don
Old 05-14-2016, 12:48 PM

l checked the settings you suggested (Dynamic Plugin Processing setting...) and it made no difference. One thing that is especially bizarre is that the cpu utilization goes to 100% without even loading a session.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:33 PM

Old thread, but maybe this can help you find a solution? http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304280

I used an Aurora-16 with LT-USB card for a week last month, with PT 12.2, and it worked flawlessly. 256 sample buffer, if I recall correctly. But man did the Aurora get hot.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:20 PM

they do get hot .. the case is part of the heatsink ... i leave half a space above and below ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Old thread, but maybe this can help you find a solution? http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304280

I used an Aurora-16 with LT-USB card for a week last month, with PT 12.2, and it worked flawlessly. 256 sample buffer, if I recall correctly. But man did the Aurora get hot.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-14-2016, 02:35 PM

ProTools CPU usage meter calculates/includes the ASIO/Core Driver,
Buffer size probability failure...

A plugin at X buffer size, will make system fail, audio will get interrupted, will have clicks & pops, caused by a BufferSize too small, a CPU too slow, and a hungry plugin.

Smaller buffer size makes the same plugin need a faster CPU.
http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency.htm

Some drivers are better than others, some brands better than others,
Different OS, different CPU's, etc...
Very relative.

Drivers are like coins, 2-sides,
Lynx & AVID are fighting for who's right...
Use the oldest driver you can...
19g works well for AES16 PCI.

Fight is getting worse with each update.
Solved.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:06 PM

Thanks for trying to help. This definitely not a buffer size issue.

The cpu goes to 100% in Pro Tools 12.5 WITHOUT EVEN LOADING A SESSION. NO AUDIO DATA. NO PLUGINS. NO VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS. Same failure regardless of buffer size. Plus the processors are barely being used according to Task Manager they are down around 8% even when playing a session under Pro Tools.

Using Studio One or Sonar - with the same buffer setting - I can play 30+ track sessions with lots of plugins and virtual instruments and still the cpu shows very low utilization (<20%).

Another piece of information: In Pro Tools, sitting idle (with or without a session loaded) and buffers set at 1024 the PT System Usage number is 100%. If I simply change the playback device to use something other than the Lynx Aurora the cpu utilization drops immediately to virtually 0.

Bottom line is that Pro Tools THINKS that the cpu is maxed out even though the Task Manager shows it isn't. This is only under Pro Tools (12.5). Other DAWs play perfectly and show expected cpu usage numbers.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don4777 View Post
Thanks for trying to help. This definitely not a buffer size issue.

The cpu goes to 100% in Pro Tools 12.5 WITHOUT EVEN LOADING A SESSION. NO AUDIO DATA. NO PLUGINS. NO VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS. Same failure regardless of buffer size. Plus the processors are barely being used according to Task Manager they are down around 8% even when playing a session under Pro Tools.

Using Studio One or Sonar - with the same buffer setting - I can play 30+ track sessions with lots of plugins and virtual instruments and still the cpu shows very low utilization (<20%).

Another piece of information: In Pro Tools, sitting idle (with or without a session loaded) and buffers set at 1024 the PT System Usage number is 100%. If I simply change the playback device to use something other than the Lynx Aurora the cpu utilization drops immediately to virtually 0.

Bottom line is that Pro Tools THINKS that the cpu is maxed out even though the Task Manager shows it isn't. This is only under Pro Tools (12.5). Other DAWs play perfectly and show expected cpu usage numbers.
Sounds to me, you do not verify the buffer size in the Lynx DSP Mixer/Settings/Buffer Size/2048

When You are inside ProTools.
Solved.
Old 05-14-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPC View Post
Sounds to me, you do not verify the buffer size in the Lynx DSP Mixer/Settings/Buffer Size/2048

When You are inside ProTools.
I have logged in and looked at the computer and problem. It has nothing to do with this. There is some sort of issue when the Lynx is connected via thunderbolt.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10