Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2023, 11:08 AM

Default carbon pre headlamp control?

HEAD AMP sorry ! could not edit the subject

Hi ,

I just picked up a carbon pre and I am just digging into it. So far all good except I cannot figure out how to be able to save and remote control the preamps and other settings (48v , phase, so on) within protools. I have the mic preamps tab checked and I am able to control the Carbons 8 preamps just fine, but anything that has a carbon pre assigned as the input I do not have control of.

Am I overlooking something ?

Thanks!

Last edited by dawnofdreamx97; 01-10-2023 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-10-2023, 11:57 AM

Default Re: carbon pre headlamp control?

Are you using Carbon Central rather than Audio Midi Setup?

Dominic
Old 01-10-2023, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Are you using Carbon Central rather than Audio Midi Setup?

Dominic
Hi Dominic ,

Yes I am using carbon central

thanks!
Old 01-10-2023, 02:37 PM

Check you settings against this video from Avid - only 1min 21secs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRlQzy3Luv0

I suspect it's just a config thing inside PT, or you might need to reset your IO settings by trashing the IO preferences files.

Dominic
Old 01-11-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Check you settings against this video from Avid - only 1min 21secs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRlQzy3Luv0

I suspect it's just a config thing inside PT, or you might need to reset your IO settings by trashing the IO preferences files.

Dominic
I totally uninstalled pro tools and trashed my preferences as well. Including all the plug ins. Quite the task , re installed fresh with latest version and still no head amp control within protools. I can control the carbons mic pre's just not the carbon PRE

anyone experience this and find a solution. ?

thanks!
Old 01-11-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnofdreamx97 View Post
I totally uninstalled pro tools and trashed my preferences as well. Including all the plug ins. Quite the task , re installed fresh with latest version and still no head amp control within protools. I can control the carbons mic pre's just not the carbon PRE

anyone experience this and find a solution. ?

thanks!
I think you will have to log a case with Avid. There aren't many people with Carbon Pres on this board.

Unfortunately when Carbon was new, Mark Corbin and Kyle Splittgerber were around this forum a lot, but now they seem to have moved on. There's another thread with someone asking about hardware failure, and no replies. There's a longstanding thread about serious problems with sync, and it's just dead. So, Carbon is a flop and they're not interested anymore.

Dominic

Dominic
Old 01-11-2023, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I think you will have to log a case with Avid. There aren't many people with Carbon Pres on this board.

Unfortunately when Carbon was new, Mark Corbin and Kyle Splittgerber were around this forum a lot, but now they seem to have moved on. There's another thread with someone asking about hardware failure, and no replies. There's a longstanding thread about serious problems with sync, and it's just dead. So, Carbon is a flop and they're not interested anymore.

Dominic

Dominic
Wow ! That would be really sad as I just migrated from an hdx rig to carbon ...
Old 01-11-2023, 11:54 PM

well you know it may be a bit premature to call Carbon a flop. The DSP integration is amazing, latency is virtually gone during tracking. HDX Expansion chassis and card sets just run counter to industry development by UAD, Apple etc so I personally think you made a good move. And yes, I own two... and I admit that want it to succeed. Your issue with PT control of the pre parameters "seems" like something that Avid would have put in. Let's keep digging for that.
Old 01-12-2023, 01:18 AM

I have a Carbon and really like it. But I just use it for songwriting and simple recording. I haven't hit any of the sync problems which seem to be common because I don't use much in the way of auxes and bussing.

Carbon has been out for 2 years now. It clearly still doesn't work properly for lots of people. Interest is low. There's a BNIB one for sale in the UK on Reverb. 20% off. It's been there for months. Three watchers. Given the chip shortage across lots of interfaces, I'd say that makes it an unpopular product. Likewise this board - almost no activity.
AVB limits the user base to Mac only. AVB is a stupid choice. Its one advantage - you can easily use a cheap, long Ethernet cable to place the box 100m away - is totally negated by the lack of comprehensive remote control. Avid have had TWO YEARS so far to do this, but they haven't completed it.
In addition, AVB latency is considerably worse for VIs than USB or Thunderbolt. My RME Babyface gets 1.0ms in/1.0ms out in Reaper at 96KHz - Carbon is 2.8ms/2.9ms at 96KHz and 3.3ms/3.3ms at 44.1KHz. Not terrible but not great.
Add to that the amount of processing power is quite limited - it's quite easy to run out of DSP if you load up a good plug-in on every input channel (something like a bx channel strip or the Metric Halo channel strip) and there's no more DSP available in the expander boxes, so you quickly end up with a session with lots of inputs having to be monitored through different plugins to the ones you actually want to use.

Personally, most of those limitations don't hit me, and I can work around the rest. But most people in my position don't buy a Carbon - I'm more of an MBox candidate.

YMMV, of course.

Dominic
Old 01-12-2023, 07:43 AM

Also forgot to ask since switching to carbon central and the carbon pre I updated pro tools to rhe last version 2022.12 , I'm still on Monterey OS.

I can't figure out how to.get the computer Audio to come through carbon now, anyone know.about this ?