Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 PM

Smile Could you check this set up out?

Hi all,

Just thought I'd drop a line to say hello to everyone.

I've just recently got back into sound engineering, been some 20 years since I worked in a commercial studio. (god am I that old now).

Obviously there's been lots of change and I dived straight into the digital world of Pro Tools and using plug-ins, for better or worse, and to be truthful, the learning curve was kinda steep.

I've been reading so much on forums like Gearsluts about boutique outboard kit, pre's comps eq's etc that I wondered if you would have a look through the kit I'm currently using and give me your thoughts on the set up. As much as I'd love to get some real top end gear, Teletronix, Pultech, Neve, Chandler etc, etc, etc, it just isn't financially feasible for me at the moment, although my piggy bank is growing, slowly.

I really don't mind your brutal honesty, and/or any suggestions you might have for what I need or don't need, should or shouldn't get. I'm trying to compile a wish list to work towards. But what first? Where's the biggest hole in my current set up? Pre's, Comps, Eq's Gear, Mics, Effects?

So anyway here's what I've got

Hardware:
Mac Pro (Intel) 2x 2.66 Dual Cores, 4Gb Ram
Pro Tools HD 2 Accel
C24 Control Surface
Digidesign 192 A/D I/O's
SSL VHD Pre's
Focusrite Liquid Channel
MOTU Midi Timepiece AV-USB
Genelec 8040 Nearfields
Yamaha NS10M Studio Nearfields
AKG Drum Set Big (1x D112, 2x C1000's 4x 418's)
Rode K2
Neumann TL103
Shure 57's (lots)
Shure 58's

Software:
Pro Tools 8 HD (and included software plug-ins)
Logic Studio
Reason 4 (including Abbey Road Keyboards, Drum Kits 2, Reason Pianos)
Waves SSL 4000 RTAS
Focusrite Liquid Mix HD
Altiverb XL
TL Drum Rehab
MBox 2 Micro PT LE 7.4

Much appreciate your time here guys n gals.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Could you check this set up out?

Hi Liquid; I would say that u are pretty good; if ur gonna mix ITB then EQ's are ok to not have... HD2 nowadays can be a tad bit limited but that depends on ur work though...I would add maybe an A/D D/A in the pot somewhere & probably give the 103 to my son, otherwise, I'd say ur ok nut thatz just my opinion...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 PM

Hi Keybeeetsss,

Just so I fully understand what did you mean the HD2 can be a tad bit limiting? In what way, and what would you suggest /recommend? It's HD2 Accel if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 AM

CHECK THIS THREAD out & THIS POST(u can click the title in the right hand corner to see whole thread; this mostly speaks on HD1 & HD3 but u should get some kind of point) as well as there are some others; but I would stress the fact that its all about ur work flow... My spot in Nashville is an HD3 rig & my main spot in Memphis is now an i7 PC where @ 1st it was a Core 2duo(whatz my point?) When I go to my Nashville spot with the HD3 rig, I can hardly ever open a session without running out of Chips & having to shut things off & stemming things out...

Not @all am I tryna to say that u shouldn't get it or it won't work for u... this is merely an opinion so it can be takin with a grain of salt...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)