Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Official 7.4.2 Bug / Problem Thread - Let\'s Help Digi

haha, hello Nikki again.

I tried the power supply, just to find now that I DO have the spotlight issue. Funny, because when I try PT without the power supply nothing funny happened. Now I have my computer indexing my hard drives.

No need to say that the playback problem continues with the power supply.

I will just leave the PCI bus for the MBox and everything else on the Mac Pro directly, so I can use both PT and FCP.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
On install tick application only and untick Digidesign Plug-ins and Bombfactory plugins. Install will complete no problem. Then install plug-ins after restart.
Thank you very much Burbree - that did the trick

Btw - US MBP and language...

| iMac 27" 3.2 Ghz Core i3 | 8 GB Ram | Pro Tools Mbox Pro (3) | Lacie d2 Disk Quadra v2.1 1 TB FW | Pro Tools 10.3.3 (always newest update) | MPT2 | OS X 10.8.4 |
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Well, even with the MBox connected to the PCI card, if I use PT long enough and have some FW hard drive connected, Spotlight will start indexing my computer.

Very annoying, indeed. I will turn off the drives ans try only with the deck, to see if the same happens.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Ahhh..
Yeah, I noticed some odd disk activity, and since I also use Logic Studio (L8) I leave Spotlight enabled for all my drives. After initial indexing, all is cool. Unless I kill the index, I do not have to go thru that wicked process (takes forever with Leopard and 1.5T). Oddly, it appears when PT is launched, mdworker/mds "goto sleep." Activate Spotlight with PT open, and they come awake, but work seems minimal. I set all drives/partitions to "private" for now, except my main one (OS, about 28G of data). Quit PT, and it appears that the index is trashed and rebuilt! A friend mentioned that if a firewire drive is on while PT is active, it will begin to index. Really odd.

With PT active, check Activity Monitor or use Terminal (if you know how) to see if mdworker and/or mds processes are going crazy at all. If not, you could try using the Cnsole to see if anything odd is going on, and/or if you are really savvy, start playing Terminal games with a fresh reboot, then fire up PT when you know all is quiet, observe before/during/post launch of PT, then during PT active no session, open session, fidget a bit, then close session, quit PT. Using Terminal + commands and Console, you might just see something worthwhile, but who knows. Leopard is an odd cat in many ways..
Old 06-01-2008, 07:10 PM

I am a newer PT user, and have been waiting for a good stable release to learn on for a while now. Everyone hails protools for being the best due to its stability and such. I must tell you though that this problem with its Core Audio driver is really an embarrassment. First off, my computer should be able to sleep while m mbox is plugged in. To say that my computer is not "setup right" and thats why its crashing because i don't have it set to never sleep just seems like a way of rationalizing a bug. A computer should sleep, and a soundcard shouldn't have to be unplugged. I should be able to use the mbox to playback all audio from my system. So many months have been spent on this new release, and digidesign did so so that the could produce an "extremely stable release". And yet this seems to be a "big deal" bug that they seem to just ignore. Plugins take a while, theres millions to worry about. Graphical interface glitches, not a huge deal. But if this is affecting a beginner, i can't imagine how its affecting those who are constantly using their mbox2/protools. The core audio driver needs to be fixed, period. I shouldn't have to restart my computer ten times a day, or unplug my mbox everytime i want the computer to sleep.

Digidesign,
Is this problem noted? Is it being worked on? Will it be available in the final release of 7.4.2? I don't want to quarrel and I won't throw down the whole "I should just switch to logic blah blah blah" I just would appreciate an answer from some sort of representative? When will this be solved?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:22 PM

Odd cat indeed.

As soon as I open PT, Spotlight begin indexing the FW drives (if I have some connected), but it's super fast process. When I close PT it begins indexing my entire machine. With 2.5T, it takes an hour.

In the activity monitor, mdworker is crazy, up to 50% CPU use. If I open PT, mdworker disappears, just to revive after I close PT.

I hope Apple or Digi would take care of this, because if I move the drives to private in spotlight, then I cannot search anything on those volumes, and sometimes I need to find some files.

Is this problem specific to Mac Pro??
There is a solution, maybe a way to do a different kind of search without relying on spotlight?

Thanks.

Funny that I didn't have problems before trying the power supply and now I just can't make it go away.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:

- Install the 10.5.3 COMBO Update off apple's Website
- CLEAN uninstall Pro-Tools (This will remove all Core Audio Components)
- Re-Instal the PTLE 7.4.2pr
- Boot off your OS X Leopard Install disk, Enter Disk Utility, and repair Permissions on your Macintosh HD
- Reboot
- Try Core Audio again, and post back here.

I have tried all of the above, and still cannot get iTunes or Safari to run through Core Audio out my 002r to my monitors, though PT is fine. I have posted a thread on this and many people are having the same exact problem.

I can select DIGI002 HW in the sys pref -> sound dialog box, but I get silence, and it doesn't stay selected if I close out the window and go back to it. The only way I can work around this issue is to connect my 1/8th inch line out on the back of my tower to the alt/src input on my 002r, and select line out in the sys pref -> sound dialog, then select alt/src to mon on my 002. This works, but is a bit of a pain. In Tiger, I could select the DIGI002 HW in the sys pref->sound dialog and be done with it. Whats more, when the 002r was turned off, the sound output defaulted to the internal speaker, which is perfect.

I'm running an early 2008 Mac Pro 8-core 3.0gHz.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM

products7074740,

Bug Submit Form

Technical Support Request form

Both will get you a reply by Digi via email - if you believe it to be a reproducible bug use the Bug Submit Form, otherwise the TSR. This is the user conference, so even if one of the Digi forum mods sees your post, there's no guarantee it actually gets into the programmers cue unless you submit it.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:04 PM

Well, the "good" news is that it seems the indexing problem is specific to 7.4.2

I had the installers of previous versions of PT, uninstall everything (deleting all digidesign folders and so on) and try the 7.4cs4, and it worked, on 10.5.3

I ran the same project it was giving me problems in 7.4.2 and it worked with no problems, it didn't kill mdworker, so I don't have to bear the indexing.

I don't know how stable is 7.4cs4 on 10.5.3, but I will try and see in the next few days if I can work with it or not.

The indexing problem is too annoying, specially since I'm working with tons of video files on FCP and I use spotlight a lot to find files I need to import, etc. so solutions like EasyFind are not really useful since I can not integrate them on the finder or the windows in FCP.

I hope Digi can solve this issue in the final 7.4.2
Old 06-01-2008, 09:17 PM

Everything seems to be working here so far:

MBP 2.4GHz Santa Rosa/4GB RAM/160GB 7200/NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
Mac OS X 10.5.3
Pro Tools 7.4.2pr
Mbox 2 Mini USB

Did the advised install per KingFish Uninstall/Clean Install of PT 7.4.2pr/10.5.3 Combo Update.

Mbox 2 Mini can be used as sound input/output for CoreAudio/System Audio and in PT. No CPU spikes. AirPort/Spotlight off. PT I/O settings at defaults - including 2 processors.

Only issue I see is in Activity Monitor...coreaudiod shows in red as (Not Responding) upon boot/restart. If I quit the process and it respawns, seems to work without hanging again for a few mins, then it goes red. Audio continues to work fine however.

Anyone else?

More info to come regarding plugs and such.

C