Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 07:30 PM

Default TC Elec. Powercore??

So whats the deal with the TC Electronics Powercore card?!?! Will it work with the Digi 001? I noticed on their advertisements that it has a Direct I/O thing which may make it compatable, but I also hear that this will limit Pro Tools LE's capabilities.

idea: What if I were to use Logic instead?...

Any response would be helpful.

Thanx,

Luke
Old 04-02-2001, 11:55 PM

Default Re: TC Elec. Powercore??

Luke,
I've been trying to get info about it as well. Its a little sketchy actually.

I went to their site..and they don't list anything except..VST compatible apps.

I'm switching to DP 3.0 when it comes out..have it on order..and I saw an ad that mentioned MAS compatiblity..but..TC doesn't list this on their site. But, they have a forum on their site..and about a week or so ago..someone asked the very specific question..."will Powercore support RTAS..and the answer was a definitive no. That came from a TC rep.

Of course..things can always change. The card is shipping now. Figure the ads are at least a month or more old.

I was told it would support MAS. But, I don't see that info anywhere on their site. Mabey they do it thru one of the VST wrappers that DP users are currently using for VST plugs.
Don't know.

Thats what I've seen so far anyway.

Theres really not much in the way of info about it under the product heading at TC's site..but..check out the forum. That seems to be the place where the most current info/answers can be had.

dcornutt
Old 04-03-2001, 12:23 AM

I just went to the TC website to see if any new news was posted in the forums..and..the forums there have been "Closed"..due to misuse. arrrg.

Oh well, I emailed them to try and get some more definitive answers. Ill post back with any info.
Old 04-03-2001, 01:49 AM

TC say they have no plans to support RTAS with the Powercore which is a real shame. I can't recall the exact reasoning behind this but they implied that they had tried to approach digi about this but hadn't got anywhere.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 04-03-2001, 02:51 PM

Well at least the UA powered plug in card promises RTAS support on a subsequent update.
At least thats what their faq is saying when I checked earlier. There still is hope....
Old 04-03-2001, 06:49 PM

Hi dcornutt....after all your help on this list... I am glad to be able to help you

The Tc powercore will only work with plugs that are especially written for it.

It has a very comphrehensive authorization system where the registered plug will ONLY be registered for THAT board.

If you sell the board later you will be selling those plugs as well... I don't think that is great

It will only work with the plugs that are registered to the board and not any other vst plugs. ie if you have TC native plugs..you'll
have to re buy TC Reverb etc.

This may change(i doubt it), but that is the state of play at the moment.

Old 04-03-2001, 07:05 PM

Thanks nymo

dcornutt
Old 04-04-2001, 12:59 AM

Just heard back from TC.
Yep, No RTAS.
But, it is MAS compatible..yea!
Comes with a MAS shell. Pop it in the MAS folder..and your set.

What I still dont' know is..if that means..just the TC plugs that comes with it are accelerated by the board..or if all MAS plugs are? They seem to imply that "all" VST, including 3rd party plugs..will work under the shell. hmmm..another email I guess.

Sorry about the RTAS support :-(.
Thats a drag. TC seems to imply that they are making it compatibile with any and all manf who wish to participate. I dont' really know what transpired..or what the difficulties are..ie..whether they are technical..or..just marketing.

I would assume from the goings on of the past year here..that it was perhaps..marketing related..ie...Digi didn't want to see it happen. But, again..you never know the real reasons behind these sort of things.

Also, theres always hope for the future..ie..either some other company producing such a baord (perhaps..even Digi themselves!)..or..that RTAS support would come at some future time.

Its still early yet. Im anxious to here the early reports of how well it works.

dcornutt
Old 04-04-2001, 09:48 AM

Powercore is said to work with logic-so if your using logic with the 001, wouldn't you be able to use powercore?