Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Default Plug-In Latency Math Check!

Can someone double check me on this?:

I've got 5 tracks of drums. A few plug-ins on each track. Kick drum has the highest amount of plug-in delay at 1024 samples. So I instantiated the Time Adjuster plug-in on all the other drum tracks, setting each one so the the total delay for each track is at 1024, same as the kick. (No time adjuster on the kick, right?).

However I've also got each drum track output assigned to an aux track which serves as master fader for drums. I've got a compression plug-in on that aux track, compressing the overall drum submix. This compressor is adding 64 samples of delay.

Do I need to add that 64 to the 1024, then instantiate Time adjuster set to 1088 on all the other tracks in the session? Or should I instantiate Time Adjuster on the aux track (drum master) and set it to total 1024 also?

And finally, each drum track has a send to another aux track - on that aux track is the Digi D-Verb plug in. No latency on that track. Do I still need to apply time adjuster to that aux track?

I'm looking forward to upgrading to PT 9, being done with this process, but need to wait till current project is over.

Thanks much for reading and considering...
Pro Tools 12.8
Apogee Duet 2
Glyph Drives + Blackmagic dock with Samsung SSDs
Reason 10, Ivory II, BFD3, Finale
Plugins: Kush, Kontakt, Komplete Ultimate, Exponential Audio, Waves, Slate, Fab Filter, TDR, Pultec Bundle, Bomb Factory, UVI Workstation, Sonnox, Soundtoys, Massey, Valhalla, Aether, PhoenixVerb, etc...
also 17" MacBook Pro w Core i7, OSX 10.9.4
Old 12-02-2010, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Plug-In Latency Math Check!

If all the drums,including the kick, are going to the Aux track, then the way u hav it is correct...

Now if u hav other tracks of course, u will need|want to match those to the same offset(1088) jus make an aux with the time adjuster set to that amount & bus out all ur tracks to that aux... of course u hav to account for any plugs that hav latency on any other track, "u do the math"

U don't needto worry about the reverb any...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)