How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2004, 03:50 PM

Default Question for midi guru old timers

Hey everyone,
Actually, it would be great to hear from anyone that has any knowledge about this. I'm wondering if there would be any advantages for me to run FreeMidi and OMS with the setup I have. I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to improve the midi timing issue with my setup. The timing is inconsistant but averages about -237 samples from when a note was actually played on a midi controller, like my Roland V-drums, for examples. Of course, this can be adjusted but I'm just trying to find out if the inconsistancies can be improved. I know I can move to OS X and get a midi interface with time stamping capabilities but I don't have the dough to do that right now so I'm just trying to optimize the setup that I'm on now. My setup is PT 5.1.1 on a Mac 9600 running Mac OS 9.1. I have a Opcode Studio 4 midi interface connected to the Mac's Modem port and have a couple of keyboard controllers some sound modules and a Roland V-drum set. Would running FreeMidi and OMS improve timing or is that only for folks that want to use MOTU midi interfaces with PT 5.1? Would that even work with my setup? I'd also like to hear any suggestions anyone might have about improving midi timing on my setup. I would be willing to upgrade the midi interface but I am sticking with the 9600, Mac OS 9 and PT 5.1.1 until I hit the lottery. I'm not unsatisfied with the performance I'm getting now but just trying to find out if there's anything I could do to improve things that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. Any input is highly welcome. Thanks for reading!

-Scot
Old 02-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Question for midi guru old timers

sorry for late response, just saw your note.... Not sure if you already got an answer elsewhere, but 1 thing you might look into is replacing your Opcode MIDI interface. I had an old Opcode interface myself some time back and got good improvement when I replaced it (still running OMS). I was told that drivers written for some of the newer MIDI devices are a lot better than for the older interfaces. An interface like the Emagic MT4 is only about $149 and you might be able to get a good used one for less. Hope this helps...