Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2020, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Dear Avid, I am an ultimate user but this 32 channel limit!

Guys, come on... At the end of the day, I believe what everybody would want, and the reason to this discussions is that our favourite tool remains healthy. I absolutely would hate to move to another software. And any suggestions (some in the form of complains) are, or should be, so that Pro Tools doesn't loose its place as the standard.
I do believe that there are some strategies that don't help either Avid nor the customers. And those are mainly in areas that have evolved since the times where Pro Tools was the only real player, and where other companies have since showed that you can do things differently, hence offering other solutions.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I don't get these posts. why announce you are leaving avid? just leave. I have just as much to be upset at avid as anyone but the technical glitches etc are just part of this business now for the past 20 years. the hardware i/o etc is solvable. just buy avid interfaces.
It's much harder to break up with a needy, high-maintenance, and expensive lover- just ask your friends! Yup, they are tired of hearing about it...
Old 05-20-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I don't get these posts. why announce you are leaving avid? just leave. I have just as much to be upset at avid as anyone but the technical glitches etc are just part of this business now for the past 20 years. the hardware i/o etc is solvable. just buy avid interfaces.

It's hard to imagine we would be able to use ASIO/Coreaudio interfaces in Pro Tools today if everyone always said "just buy avid interfaces". Pro Tools is ostensibly better, and far more powerful now that it isn't reliant on 002/003s or HD hardware to even just open the app!

Finding solutions outside of Avid is also something that is intrinsic in Pro Tools. More so than any other DAW. Nuendo & Resolve have extensive ADR functionality, but Pro Tools has none. You need another app to do it. Pro Tools has no MPE support or ARA editing, so you need to find other ways to do it. Nuendo can reconform audio to picture changes. Pro Tools needs another application. Nuendo can sort and search alt audio takes by timecode. Pro Tools needs another application to do it. Reaper has the ability to place realtime plugin effects on clips. Pro Tools doesn't beyond the clip effects EQ and compressor. And sample library databases? Pro Tools needs another application to do it!

Buying Avid hardware may solve one problem of accessing more I/O in Pro Tools software, but it creates many more in the process. No access to system sounds when Pro Tools is open. No system sounds at all under Windows 10 because there is no WDM driver. And the restrictive nature of avid hardware just doesn't lend itself to a lot of situations. I own HDX, but I still don't use it for a lot of high I/O count recording because it is much easier to do in a lot of circumstances with other applications. You can achieve a lot with a copy of reaper, a DVS license and a USB cable.

"Just buy avid interfaces". Come on now. We are audio engineers. Part of the role is problem solving and finding better ways to do things. Owning Pro Tools and HDX doesn't mean I am obliged to think that it is always the best way of doing things...
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Finding solutions outside of Avid is also something that is intrinsic in Pro Tools. More so than any other DAW. Nuendo & Resolve have extensive ADR functionality, but Pro Tools has none. You need another app to do it. Pro Tools has no MPE support or ARA editing, so you need to find other ways to do it. Nuendo can reconform audio to picture changes. Pro Tools needs another application. Nuendo can sort and search alt audio takes by timecode. Pro Tools needs another application to do it. Reaper has the ability to place realtime plugin effects on clips. Pro Tools doesn't beyond the clip effects EQ and compressor. And sample library databases? Pro Tools needs another application to do it!

You can achieve a lot with a copy of reaper, a DVS license and a USB cable.

"Just buy avid interfaces". Come on now. We are audio engineers. Part of the role is problem solving and finding better ways to do things. Owning Pro Tools and HDX doesn't mean I am obliged to think that it is always the best way of doing things...
All of this.

I jumped on the Nuendo crossgrade last year, and have been slowly learning it in between projects. There's a lot Avid could learn.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 05-21-2020, 12:34 PM

people told me that about neundo 18 years ago..............
Old 02-20-2021, 11:32 PM

It's a bloody joke, right?

Pro Tools is, for me, the best editing package around (plus I've been using it for over 20 years so I kinda know it pretty well) but the physical I/O limit on non-Avid hardware is just so stupid.

It's not like it's a cheap software solution either. We pay for the premium product so why the limitation?

I know a lot of people who've shelled out hard earned cash for Avid hardware (hell knows I have) will have a cry if they remove the limit but it's not the 90s anymore.

Why should I have to pay for an alternate means of tracking a live show or lug a bunch of Avid hardware around, for example, when I should just be able to rock up with my laptops and take the full 64 channels of either a MADI or Dante stream?
Old 02-20-2021, 11:40 PM

If you already have 64 channels of MADI you don't need much Avid gear to get it going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy_2000 View Post
Why should I have to pay for an alternate means of tracking a live show or lug a bunch of Avid hardware around, for example, when I should just be able to rock up with my laptops and take the full 64 channels of either a MADI or Dante stream?
If it were me, I'd walk up with a pair of JoeCo BBR-64 Dante or MADI recorders or a pair of Tascam DA-6400s with Dante or MADI cards and just plug in. Wouldn't even worry about using my laptop until I got in to post.

Why a pair? Because when tracking a live show you want redundancy in case one of the computers crashes in the middle of the show.

How much do a pair of JoeCo or Tascam recorders with their respective Dante or MADI options? Well, just about as much as a single HDX card, without any I/O hardware.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-03-2021, 09:56 PM

Well all I’m going to say now is that “ industry standard “ word is out the window.

And with these old digi consoles now working via a 3rd party solution. I don’t even care anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 PM

It is industry standard in mixing, but when you produce you see tons of DAWs but not PT, when you master you see lots of analog gear, not PT. So it depends on what you do.

Tracking.. you get cheaper box from other brand if you need +32 tracks. If you want to track straight into PT session you need HDN for up to 64 tracks and HDX for +64 tracks, that is how it is and cannot see it change in the near future. That is plenty though. If you need gazillion tracks use 3rd party box and import to PT session later.

I would be more concerned about preamp cost. Quality preamps for -say- 128 tracks cost way more than PT system that can handle it.