Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2003, 01:39 PM

Default HELP! 25-pin digital cable type on 192?

I just upgraded to HD3 system and I am trying to order the right 25-pin cable to go from my 192 AES I/O to my Kurzweil KSP-8 (with AES 25-pin I/O jack). I know that both units use the tascam wiring configuration. Is it as simple as buying a TDIF 25-pin to 25-pin cable? Even though it is AES format?

If you have a similar set up and know something please give a shout!

Thank you!
Nashville, TN
www.fabmusic.com
Old 04-24-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Re: HELP! 25-pin digital cable type on 192?

shouldn't be a problem. I seem to remember the tascam tdif cable not being a straight 25-25 pin cable. also TDIF 25 pin and AES 25 pin are a bit different. The safest thing to do is double check the pinouts for each box. The digi manual for the 192 I/O has all the pinouts in the back. not sure about the kurzweil. the manual or the web site should help you there.
and yes the HD hardware uses the tascam DA-88 standard. Also FYI, you can use the same harness for analog Input and analog Output on the 192...
hope this helps. (balanced input that is)
[email protected]
once you go Mac, you never go back
Old 04-24-2003, 06:33 PM

Hey thanks man. Yes I double checked the two devices and they both have identical pinout configs. Which makes me a bit confused as I hope the cable I bought (a tascam brand) is not straight pin to pin. That would mean an input going to an input. It must be crossed over at some point. I'm going to plug it in right now and see if sparks fly.

Nashville, TN
www.fabmusic.com
Old 04-25-2003, 09:05 AM

Eep, don't plug that in!

TDIF cables are quite specific as to what pins are connected to what. They're not even similar to AES, even though both designations are following Tascam's lead.

What you're looking for is slightly specalised. You may have to have this manufactured for you, or if you're up to it, solder it yourself. Just remember, you're making a crossover cable - not 1 to 1. Also, use good 110 Ohm cable like Mogami 3162 which is 8 pair 110 Ohm and easy to work with.

You could also just get two standard breakouts and connect them together. This adds the benefit of flexibility in the future!

Good Luck

David Bullard
Masque Sound and Recording

PS, on a more general note, it's nice to hear that Kurzweil is following Tascam's pinout, but not every manufacturer does. Always check what it really is before plugging!
Old 04-25-2003, 10:59 AM

Thank you David. HEre is what happened when I plugged the TDIF cable in...

Everything works until I try to set up the KSP8 to use the fourth pair of AES I/O (there are four pair, total available). Then I get solid clip lights on every channel and all audio goes berzerk, even on the channels that were working fine. This sucks. Back to square one. I really don't want to make my own, and those break out cables all come in ridiculously long lengths. I think I'm going to look into getting an adat lightpipe card for the KSP instead.
Nashville, TN
www.fabmusic.com