Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Playback stopping when ..

OK, so I just remembered a workaround for this. At least for now, you can RE-nice Pro Tools to -20, giving it high CPU/process priority.

You can do it in the terminal using sudo renice, or an easier way is to use a little donation ware app called "CPUsetter"

https://www.whatroute.net/cpusetter.html#
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-16-2023, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
OK, so I just remembered a workaround for this. At least for now, you can RE-nice Pro Tools to -20, giving it high CPU/process priority.

You can do it in the terminal using sudo renice, or an easier way is to use a little donation ware app called "CPUsetter"

https://www.whatroute.net/cpusetter.html#
Thanks for the hint.
I already heard about renicing, but never tried. Did you try? Does it completely solve the problem? I feel like it cannot, because it´s not only pro tools, but a bug concerning core audio driver handling of virtual audio interfaces in MacOS I think.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftWW View Post
Thanks for the hint.
I already heard about renicing, but never tried. Did you try? Does it completely solve the problem? I feel like it cannot, because it´s not only pro tools, but a bug concerning core audio driver handling of virtual audio interfaces in MacOS I think.
It's totally working for me with Pro Tools. Just can't believe I didn't try it earlier.
I'm sure it'll help with Logic, which was a lot more tolerant.

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-16-2023, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftWW View Post
Thanks for the hint.
I just tried and it broke the stable virtual interfaces playback on my running system.
Directly after resetting to the original "0" value everything was fine again.
I think MacOS has to solve the issue in 12.4.3. and upwards.
But thanks for the idea. Always nice to know things about the system.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:12 AM

Yes, definitely not the total solution for now. Which OS are you currently running?
Also, curious to know about the stable systems?
Across the board in mine, I have issues with any Core Audio driver or bridge, being interrupted by an alert or system message, regardless of what the system audio is using.
So in my case the workaround for renicing Pro Tools works well.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Yes, definitely not the total solution for now. Which OS are you currently running?
Also, curious to know about the stable systems?
Across the board in mine, I have issues with any Core Audio driver or bridge, being interrupted by an alert or system message, regardless of what the system audio is using.
So in my case the workaround for renicing Pro Tools works well.
I needed to go back to BigSur to make everything work again.
Avid told it´s Apples fault. Starting with MacOS 12.4 and even Ventura.
No solid workaround yet. It helps to disable the system alert sounds!
Old 03-17-2023, 09:07 AM

MacOS Ventrua 13.2.1 (had to rebuild and too lazy to wind back OS)

All works great so long as I disable all sound alerts / sound notification (system, Messages and Mail) Basically any use of system sound from any other app will kill PT playback momentarily. Now I know that, and have made the settings changes my work flow is good again. Great thread for clueing in to this issue ...thanks to all contributors
Old 03-17-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AINSLIE View Post
MacOS Ventrua 13.2.1 (had to rebuild and too lazy to wind back OS)

All works great so long as I disable all sound alerts / sound notification (system, Messages and Mail) Basically any use of system sound from any other app will kill PT playback momentarily. Now I know that, and have made the settings changes my work flow is good again. Great thread for clueing in to this issue ...thanks to all contributors
Might also be a good idea to do the Re-nice prioritisation (-20) as well, as it's not just a notification "sound", it's also the trigger for such notification.
ie If you do something that normally triggers the notification, such as making an error in the Finder for example. That will do the same thing... even if you have sounds turned.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:40 AM

Oh man thought I was going insane... mix revisions on one screen, Pro Tools on the other. Without fail ,every time I click on the revisions window in Brave Browser, Pro Tools stops playback without fail. It's super annoying.

edit: have never had system sounds enabled ever, so there's no audio cue from the browser causing it. It's just clicking on it that makes it happen.

Monterey 12.6.2
MacBook Pro 14"
RME Digiface USB into Caldigit TS3 dock

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 03-24-2023, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Oh man thought I was going insane... mix revisions on one screen, Pro Tools on the other. Without fail ,every time I click on the revisions window in Brave Browser, Pro Tools stops playback without fail. It's super annoying.

edit: have never had system sounds enabled ever, so there's no audio cue from the browser causing it. It's just clicking on it that makes it happen.

Monterey 12.6.2
MacBook Pro 14"
RME Digiface USB into Caldigit TS3 dock
Yes, totally understand that. Unfortunately, it's not the sound itself it seems, but the trigger or tag to tell an alert sound to chime in, even if the alert sounds are not turned on. Weird, but I think we're all honing in on this now.