Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2015, 01:00 PM

Default Time to replace my mixer...with???

Hi, all. My home recording studio with PT11 is in desperate need of a new mixer, and I'm looking for thoughts on what to consider based on my current setup:

Analog 16x8x2 board
6 aux sends (4 prefader)
PT11 on iMac (Snow Leopard)
Digi002 i/o

The board itself is actually a bit overkill. At any one time, there is at most three people recording (ex. guitar, singer, bass), so the 8 sub-outs almost never get beyond #4. (There was a time when I was still recording acoustic drums that I'd use all 8 subs, but now it's a Roland V-kit sending MIDI data to PT) The 4 prefader aux sends are nice for headphone mixes, but I could probably live with 3.

In my searching, I find myself torn between another analog mixer and a digital mixer (like the Presonus). Pros of the digital mixer are that I can firewire directly to PT, as the mixer is also the i/o. However, a lot of features that digital mixers are known for I wouldn't really be utilizing, such as saving eq and fx settings. So, would I be better off staying analog and keep using the Digi002?

More back and forth on this no doubt, but this is a good start! I'm grateful for any advice. Cheers.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Time to replace my mixer...with???

http://vintageking.com/neve-bcm10-2-...ording-console

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig