Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2023, 07:38 AM

Default Atmos playback from Apple Music

I’m hoping someone has figured this out. We just installed a Mac Studio Ultra M2. I’m trying to play back Atmos releases from Apple Music using our HDX system in order to audition national releases so clients can compare their own mix-in-progress on the same speaker system. I have tried assigning the Mac audio output in the Audio/MIDI utility to the Dolby Atmos Renderer virtual output, which uses 12 channels of our HDX system to address the 7.1.4 speaker array, and tried connecting directly to the HDX outputs themselves. In both cases, the playback is rendered to 5.1, regardless of the fact that, in the Audio/MIDI utility, I can test each speaker perfectly. It would appear that Apple Music is not actually outputting the full Atmos stream. I have contacted Apple support, but they didn’t even know the Audio/MIDI system app existed. Apparently “support” is a consumer level thing there. I suppose I understand that, but it leaves me stuck trying to figure out an “Apple specific” issue, without any help from Apple. The folks at Dolby told me this monitoring method is what they recommend, but since I’m using ProTools hardware, it’s a “ProTools” issue.

I’m thinking there is a “setting” somewhere that instructs Apple Music to output the full 7.1.4 stream, but I can’t seem to find it.

Any ideas?
Old 07-06-2023, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Atmos playback from Apple Music

macOS is still currently 5.1 so Atmos stuff is being downmixed. Even worse, web browser streams are downmixed to 2.0 which is why Netflix et.al cannot sell surround sound.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:53 AM

Apple Music outputs a Spatial Audio stream that is design to be heard through various AirPods and such….

Choose how to listen to Dolby Atmos on your Mac
Update your Mac to the latest version of macOS.
Open the Apple Music app.
In the menu bar, choose Music > Preferences or Music > Settings.
Click the Playback tab.
Choose Automatic, Always On, or Off.
If you choose Automatic, here’s what you need
Supported songs automatically play in Dolby Atmos when you're listening with:
AirPods Pro, AirPods Max, AirPods (3rd generation), or Beats Fit Pro with Spatial Audio turned on
AirPods (1st or 2nd generation)
BeatsX, Beats Solo3 Wireless, Beats Studio3, Powerbeats3 Wireless, Beats Flex, Powerbeats Pro, Beats Solo Pro, or Beats Studio Buds
The built-in speakers on a MacBook Pro (2018 model or later), MacBook Air (2018 model or later), or iMac (2021 model)

I do not believe this is a discreet 7.1.4 stream that can be monitored on that particular speaker width setup.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I do not believe this is a discreet 7.1.4 stream that can be monitored on that particular speaker width setup.
It is not. Apple is currently 5.1 max (discrete)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:01 AM

So, you’re saying that, in spite of labeling content as “Dolby Atmos”, Apple Music cannot play back an Atmos file on Apple’s newest Mac? Unbelievable.

Does anyone know of a workaround? Perhaps routing an AppleTV through the Mac somehow?

How does Apple push Atmos and then say you can’t hear it?
Old 07-06-2023, 08:03 AM

This is "Dolby Surround" all over again. Atmos is being downmixed for earbuds/stereo, not for discrete listening.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
macOS is still currently 5.1 so Atmos stuff is being downmixed. Even worse, web browser streams are downmixed to 2.0 which is why Netflix et.al cannot sell surround sound.
Hey Jfreak - yeah, I've never gotten MacOS to decode anything past 5.1 (so downmixed Atmos). I'm wondering if you have seen this actually documented anywhere - I've never found any 'official' confirmation of it, though it's my experience of how it works. Seems funny - this huge push by Apple for Atmos content, but the OS won't actually decode it fully.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-06-2023, 08:12 AM

macOS limitation. You need Apple TV HD to get Atmos stream and even then you need AVR between ATV and your monitoring. Sucks.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:21 AM

I'm listening to Atmos playback on my Mac right now. Apple Music Dolby Atmos -> Dante Virtual Soundcard (16x16) -> DADman/MTRX Studio to speakers.

Apple Music needs to see an output device with exactly 16 channels. This works on Monterey and up, I believe.

Am I misunderstanding the question?
Old 07-06-2023, 09:09 AM

That is EXACTLY how I tried to configure using HDX and one of our HD I/O’s. The speaker test even works perfect. But everything is folded down to 5.1, using the side speakers instead of rears, and all 4 height channels are folded in quad somehow.

I’m sure I’m missing something…….