Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Quick Question - Easy Answer...

Completly drawing a blank here

How do you go from starting up a session at a certain BPM - Then changing the BPM at say the chorus and then using the original BPM while continuing on with the session -

Scenario:
* Verse #1 BPM = 137.00 (8 Bars) then switch to the Chorus #1 BPM = 96.00 (4 Bars)
* Repeat Verse #1 and Chorus #1

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-23-2004, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Quick Question - Easy Answer...

Ok, turn on the conductor (transport, little dude with a baton.) Right click (or control click maybe) on the little bar that has a tempo in it. 120 is the default. You can add as many tempo markers as you have tempo changes to the bar at the top. This will only affect midi and grid locations though, it won't stretch the audio to fit the new time divisions.
-Olaf
Old 02-23-2004, 01:07 AM

Sorry - Unfortunately that's changing the whole sessions BPM Grids now - I am trying to create a Verse BPM then switch to a Chorus BPM within a song (2 Different BPM's in a session) -
Old 02-23-2004, 01:17 AM

First change all your markers from Bars and Beats to Absolute (wish their was a global command for this, but there isn't).. then from the top of the song to the end work your way down and enter tempo changes with the MIDI menu. There's no way to do a accelerando or ritard, it'll be a quick tempo change unless you manually do small tempo changes.

You can also import a tempo map via a Standard MIDI File from another program.. which sometimes is easier.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-23-2004, 01:38 AM

"First change all your markers from Bars and Beats to Absolute (wish their was a global command for this, but there isn't).. "

Rail - I knew you'd come to the rescue - I don't think I am doing this right - Having trouble getting into "absolute" (It's already in that mode in the grid option and right clicking the bars beats) - Is thar right?

Will you be able to bullet the steps on how I should go about this (Pretty new to tempo changing within a song) - Also will these tempo changes show and lock at specific parts within the song?
Old 02-23-2004, 01:44 AM

Open the Marker window (Ctrl+5). Click on a Marker then double click it to edit it.. in the Marker dialog mae sure the Reference is Absolute - usually the default is bars and Beats. Click OK. Do the same for each Marker.

Rail
Old 02-23-2004, 01:48 AM

Rail - Ctrl+5 brings up the speaker icon - I think the preferences need to be changed to what your system is at...
Old 02-23-2004, 01:49 AM

5 on the numeric keypad with Num Lock enabled - which is the mode it should be in while running Pro Tools.

Rail
Old 02-23-2004, 01:56 AM

Tried it with num lock on still turning cursor into speaker icon - How do i do this manually - Also my original tracks that were locked into a certain BPM have moved with all the adjustments Ive tried so far - Can I reset this as well, so I don't lose what I've created - Wow all this Just to create 2 seperate BPM's in grid mode within my session...
Old 02-23-2004, 02:01 AM

Control+5 on the numeric keypad with Num Lock enabled has to bring up your Markers Window.. but you can also open it via the Windows Menu in Pro Tools.

The Numeric Keypad is that thing on the right of your main keyboard with all the numbers that looks like a calculator

To get your session bak to where it was - either revert to your saved session (you did save before messing with the tempo).. or delete the tempo events you added and reset the tempo to your original tempo.

To delete tempo events: You can either drag across the tempo events in the tempo timeline and hit Backspace, or you can Alt+click on each tempo event.

Rail