Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM

Default Can I connect my 002 rack to my PC using a firewire to usb cable adapter?

Hi, I'm running Windows 7 SP 1 Home Premium 64 with Pro Tools LE 8.0.5. My machine has an Intel i7 chip @ 2.2 GHz, 12 gb of RAM.

I'm trying to connect my 002 rack to my PC via a firewire 6 pin cable running into a firewire to usb converter that runs into my USB port.

I haven't been able to get my PC to recognize the 002 rack. I installed the 002 rack drivers, but haven't got the PC to recognize.

When I power the 002 rack on with it connected to my PC via firewire 6 pin cable running into a firewire to usb converter that runs into my USB port, the "1394" light that usually lights up when a firewire connection is established is not lit up.

I'm thinking that a connection from an 002 rack to a PC via a firewire 6 pin cable running into a firewire to usb converter that runs into a USB port is not possible. I'd love it if someone with greater knowledge of hardware than me could confirm this.

Thanks,
Jeff
Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
Old 02-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Can I connect my 002 rack to my PC using a firewire to usb cable adapter?

Its not going to work like that. You need a compatible TI-chipset firewire controller. Most laptops have a card slot and most desktops have a PCI or PCIe slot for adding a card. If you have neither, you will need to choose between a USB interface, or a new computer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Can I connect my 002 rack to my PC using a firewire to usb cable adapter?

Albee, I have a flash memory slot. Can I use that with a TI firewire controller? I'm sorry but I know very little about firewire controllers, I need to read up on it.
Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterhead9 View Post
Albee, I have a flash memory slot. Can I use that with a TI firewire controller? I'm sorry but I know very little about firewire controllers, I need to read up on it.
I don't THINK that will work. Pretty sure you need a PCMCIA or ExpressCard slot. Maybe just sell the 002 and get a USB interface. The new Presonus AudioBox line looks interesting and should work with PT9 and up. With 8.0.5, you are stuck with Avid/Digi hardware so Mbox mini and regular are about the only options.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterhead9 View Post
I'm trying to connect my 002 rack to my PC via a firewire 6 pin cable running into a firewire to usb converter that runs into my USB port.
I don't know what device you're trying to use for this, but it should be pointed out that there is no such device which converts IEEE 1394 to USB.

USB video interfaces that have firewire ports do not actually implement the full IEEE 1394 protocol. Instead, they only implement the DV protocol via the interface hardware.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I don't know what device you're trying to use for this,
I'm trying to connect my Roland V drums to a DAW or some kind of device via an M-Audio MIDIsport Uno interface so I can use Toontracks in Pro Tools.

Toontracks will offer me more sound options than just the presets in my Roland kit.

It looks like the PreSonus AudioBox USB has MIDI I/O, and can be powered by just USB. Do you think the PreSonus will be able to serve as interface from my V drums to my PC?

I don't know much about USB interfacing, but it seems like it would work. Confirmation would be greatly appreciated before I go ahead and buy it. Thanks for the knowledge.
Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Back up. You've now given conflicting information. First you stated that you are trying to connect an 002 via a non-existent Firewire/USB converter. Now you say that you're trying to do something completely different.

Let's go back to the top. Albee assumed you were using a laptop, but nowhere is that stated in your first post. In fact, it reads as though you have a tower. If that's the case, get an appropriate PCIe firewire card and connect your 002 to that. Then, not only will you be able to run Pro Tools, you will also have the needed MIDI I/O for connecting your V-drums.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 03-01-2012, 02:16 PM

I'm so confused...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM

My apologies for not being clear from the top. I think this will read better.

So I have a PC laptop with no firewire port, but it does have a flash memory slot. I also have an 002 rack and a set of Roland V Drums.

I'm trying to run my V drums > M-Audio MIDIsport Uno USB to MIDI interface> some kind of device that will interface with my laptop so I can hear my drums in Pro Tools.

Problem is, I don't know how/if it's possible to connect my laptop to my 002 rack because said laptop has no firewire port.

I hope this explains my situation better.

I was hoping this thread could explain what kinds of options I have in this situation to get my V-drums going in Pro Tools. Sorry, I feel stupid for not only not knowing how to remedy this problem, but failing to explain it coherently. Doh!
Pro Tools LE 8.0.5
Old 03-01-2012, 03:57 PM

OK, then everything albee said stands. If your laptop doesn't have an ExpressCard slot or the new Thunderbolt port, then you are out of luck for using ProTools 8 and your 002 with it. Though, you could get a used Mbox2 and use it in place of the 002 with this laptop.

Otherwise, either move to a machine that can support them, or update your DAW (PT 9+ or other) and obtain an interface that can work with this laptop.

Once one of the above is done, then it will be time to figure out how to connect the V-Drums.