Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Automatic Latency Compensation & Plug Ins - Average? or Additive?

Stig is right. It just works! Whether you understand how it works or not, the fact is that it does. Those of us that have been TDM user's for years, and have had ADC available to us, have known this for years and have been using it in the turned on position for years as well. Welcome to the "pro" version of Pro Tools.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Stig is right. It just works! Whether you understand how it works or not, the fact is that it does. Those of us that have been TDM user's for years, and have had ADC available to us, have known this for years and have been using it in the turned on position for years as well. Welcome to the "pro" version of Pro Tools.
Hi,

Because most TDM users having been using it for years they also know how to setup their recording session and what pitfalls to be aware of. You can't just turn ADC on and expect everything to work perfect.

I still see a lot of TDM users using AUX's in the recording chain and as you know, only the audio track you record on to is bypassed from the ADC when in record mode. so routing through aux's will incur some small amount of latency!! you won't notice this when recording non rhythmic parts! but if you have a top line drummer in the live room you can notice it.

And if you start piling plugins on an aux in the recording chain, well its game over for tightness. the recorded audio is only adjusted by the amount of ADC the "audio" track is reading, and then re-positioned on the time timeline after recoding is stopped. Basically the audio track you record on to must have no aux's in the chain and be routed directly to the master outputs.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

...the recorded audio is only adjusted by the amount of ADC the "audio" track is reading, and then re-positioned on the time timeline after recoding is stopped...

Chris
Thanks for this clarification on the re-positioning - that was the root of my question. I did test this out last night both straight recording and then punching in and yeah - it works. Pretty dope.

BTW werner - I'm sure you meant nothing negative by it but please don't assume that someone never using ADC during recording automatically means the only version of protools they ever used professionally was non HD... it's just simply not the case.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 AM

Chris is right to point out the Aux issue. It is a pitfall to be avoided for sure. Thanx for making that point.

Ant B, sorry if my comment seemed negative. It was not meant that way. I just think that it is important that people new to ADC realize that it's been around quite awhile now and that it has been being used succesfully in a professional environment since it's introductrduction.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Chris is right to point out the Aux issue. It is a pitfall to be avoided for sure. Thanx for making that point.
I agree. Good point, Chris.

But, one has to take a bit of care when setting up the signal chain. It doesn't help much that the audio track has little to no latency in itself, if, further down the chain, you send the same signal through a delayed path.