Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: ProTools, Nuendo, Nuendo ProTools....

Quote:
Quote:

There's also a paradigm shift in how we play. I thought I would never see the day when the Ping-Pong and Pool tables on the dub stage would be replaced with "Dance, Dance Revolution!
Wow, wish we had time to do any of those things during a mix.
There are many other places I'd rather play pool than in the room I'm working in 10 hours a day 5 days a week. (that's a slow schedule)

BTW, I consider myself both an elitist and lazy at times. But that has nothing to do with my software choices. Just ask my wife.

Anarchy Post
1811 Victory Blvd
Glendale, CA 91201
818-334-3300
www.anarchypost.net
Old 06-05-2006, 06:50 PM

damn been away for awhile mixing.... its turning into a school yard brawl
Old 06-05-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Part of Nuendo's power is that it is very flexible and customizable to each users' needs and workflows.
Froyo, what commission are you getting for unit's sold? If none, then maybe voice your glowing Steinberg support on another site.
I think that he is right to mention it - and so are you lets not get bogged down in political theories - lets look at a history - there wasn't always a protools on the stage and there may not be again one day - being aware of what is going on in the world of audio is essential - if you want to stick you head in the sand or up digi's dark orifice feel free! It may cost you a few quid in the long run - but it's OK cos you are fat cats with loadsa cash to burn right?

I just did a surround feature in DP4.6 and to be honest it wan't painful - I will admit that there are a few features I missed from protools - AND I mentioned them on that OTHER forum in my customary manner ....

Must confess I did have a giggle to myself as my US$ 500 program bounced out the stems in WAY faster than realtime with out flaw..... I found with faster than realtime bouncing I was able to supply an ambience stem, 2 sfx stems and music - imported that into PT7 and took off to the dub stage ( no not one in LA - it's not the center of the world you know.....)

I really do think that the tone of this forum is the most staid and reverential to the host - but really is that a good thing? all though I think the tone of this forum is starting to change for the better - with people ready to say things like this - it means that Digi are aware of the threats etc - which is only good for your beloved application... remember as long as you are alive things change.

wanna mix in the box ? LEARN to think outside the box..... Like most things - you pay more for the easy way - however I found with a programable USB buttons - and DP5 life is cheap, reliable, easy to use with a customisable interface so feels more like an old friend and the end result comes out of the speakers and sounds indistinguishable from other systems -

Sorry but I thought this was a forum for discussion no?

And don't tell me to go away - i bought PT7 too........ Tho the LE version I got feels way underpowered and has no surround even if I get that DV tk for $1300!!!!!

I might actually have bought the 002 and the DVTK for a total of US$3500 had it included surround - as 48 tracks is enough - but it wasn't to be.... And also the control surface on the 002 is only usable with protools?

I guess a lot of people on this forum have paid an enormous amount of money for their system - maybe they think they got a mercedes or SUV and just get a bit pissed when some cheap Honda beats them thro the traffic lights.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:22 PM

Martian-

At the end of the day it comes down to the talent- not the hardware. ProTools is the dominant tool for film sound right now- no one can predict the future here so I won't, but as "the Talent" once I learn how to use "A" hammer to get the job done, I prefer to not have to relearn how to use that tool again. If some really spiffy new hammer comes along that is FAR and away better and faster more rewarding to my life, I might consider it.

Now a lot of folks have been saying us Hollywood folk are stodgy elitists who are just being bullies about this- Well you are kind of right about that. For one thing, There is an abundance of drama in our little film sound community already- I do not think many of us are looking for fresh fist-fights to get into (Fight Club was cool, but damn we already are fighting everyday...) so When people come in and start throwing around stuff like the claims we have seen- we get concerned- why? because there will always be someone who is disgruntled about one thing or another and want to get ANY alternative to dislodge the item in question. Again, re-taking my little bully pulpit- for you guys with LE systems- I understand your desire to be able to do surround etc- the problem I have is that in the film business the cost of an HD rig is not a lot of money- Infact I know many people who recouped their investment in ONE show. So you might say I do not care about the cost issue that much. Now as I have mentioned in previous posts- I am doing pretty big shows most of the time- so yes, I perhaps am an exception to the average PT user- but I need my needs to be met too- I want to know that there is a very consistent and repeatable universe that the work will live in- ProTools is pretty universal (pardon the unintended pun) nothing else is- there have been many pretenders to that throne, but it has not yet happened. So in the end- If you need to do heavy lifting, ProTools is still a reliable and predictable enviornment to work in.

charles maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 PM

Martian said:
Quote:
imported that into PT7 and took off to the dub stage ( no not one in LA - it's not the center of the world you know.....)
dr.sound from "The Dub Stage" replies:
And where is the center of the word? Hollywood is refered to as "The entertainment capital of the world".
As for the LE / DP crap, great. The amount of whining from the LE world is like 1k at +20!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 AM

hey dude I agree about the talent bit there.

Was it early in this thread the Lord of the rings was mentioned as a pinnacle of good sound?

I met Gary R. ( and entourage ) when I was in SF- He was at a certain ranch for a special showing of LOTR - he shook my hand as a fellow MPSE nominee when I met him on dubstage 3 ( it was the smaller one alledgedly G's favourite room?)

I was struck by the size of the crews involved on these movies and the timeframes involved - must be great to be in unionised enviroment! Wish I was so lucky!!! Unfortunately I am self employed and 20 hour days are considered the norm during the final days over here - Any whingin about it is considered less than man-ly and unlikely to get anymore work....!!!

I too on my last gig I could have bought one and just/almost made a profit - probably enough to buy a cheeseburger - but the budget of the kids animation I'm starting next week would also cover it by itself- additionally I'm in talks for action movie after starting in september so I wouldn't say it was a dearth of work for me....

I'm just wondering about the need for it - I was prepared to hire in a Protools rig for final mix - but the initial delay at start of movie made me spend a couple of weeks developing sounds in DP as a learnin experience/ experiment...

after that I didn't fancy spending the cash - going on holiday tomorrow instead

Is LA really the capital of the world - sounds like marketing hype? - I mean Bollywood, and the Chinese market also seem to be quite large...

If you get budget problems give me a call... Very happy to help you with some foley over here - we make most of your sneakers over here already.......

Old 06-06-2006, 04:28 AM

Quote:
As for the LE / DP crap, great. The amount of whining from the LE world is like 1k at +20!
Hi, fair enough, you don't want to hear about Pro Tools LE complaints etc. but, this section of the DUC is for Pro Tools LE with DV Toolkit as well as HD systems. I get it, enough with the "we want everything for LE stuff". As for MOTU Digital Performer, I'd say this is one of the most underrated, advanced, built for OS X only digital audio apps on the market. Now I'm sounding like a rep though.

1kHz @ +20dBfs... nasty!

Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi, fair enough, you don't want to hear about Pro Tools LE complaints etc. but, this section of the DUC is for Pro Tools LE with DV Toolkit as well as HD systems. I get it, enough with the "we want everything for LE stuff". As for MOTU Digital Performer, I'd say this is one of the most underrated, advanced, built for OS X only digital audio apps on the market. Now I'm sounding like a rep though.

1kHz @ +20dBfs... nasty!

DP is a nice piece of software- however I would hate to have to do 1000 channels of conforming in it.

charles maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Hey, don't forget AudioVision. And when are they going to bring back those "Bins" anyway?
Believe me, I haven't...I was still using it up until 2.5 weeks ago! And I do miss my bins.

I'm hoping v7.2 will help me miss them a little less. I hear good things.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
DP is a nice piece of software- however I would hate to have to do 1000 channels of conforming in it.
Yeah, I'm still a DP newbie, but it seems like the editor isn't it's strong point. Apparently getting Bias Peak Pro is the way to go which integrates very well into the opened project. What drew me to it was its mixing attributes. At the moment Im playing around with 60+ audio tracks, 6 VI tracks and about 20 high CPU plug-ins. With a Power Mac G5 dual 2GHz w/2.5 GB of RAM the CPU gauge is running at about one quarter to one third with the odd spike (a DP 5 problem). This, as well as full surround sound support of every surround format is what gets me excited. Editing and mixing on Pro Tools HD is still no. 1 for me (when I can get my hands on that system for a job). MOTU DP is really for experimentation and looking forward to getting back to some music again, along with some amazing VI's that are on the market today... including one's that have full 5.1 support such as NI Absynth 3. A lot of fun.