Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2003, 02:35 AM

Default RETRO U 87?!?! u heard of it??

anybody heard about that retro mod for the neumann u 87 microphone?? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] http://www.innertubeaudio.com/html/retrofit.htm

anybody knows it already,can give me their opinion, is it worth the money...anybody knows to which mic itd be compareble,i heard with the u 67...but im not sure, im planning to buy one though its a little expensive,ill wait a little [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] , but ill get it,please give me any info you know...thx [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 08:52 AM

Default Re: RETRO U 87?!?! u heard of it??

I wonder what it does to the sound? I hope it gets rid of some of that nasty upper midrange. My U87 is not one of my favorite mics.

Steve
1-603-867-6843
Old 03-24-2003, 01:58 AM

I've had one of these units for about three years and I have nothing but praise to offer. How I came to purchase it in the first place was by attending a "mic shoot-out' at a local studio. They had a wide selection including, 47's, 87's, C12VR, AKG solid tune, 414's, 4060, etc, etc. Results: Tubes sound better no matter how you shake it, and the inner tube audio had the warmth that the 47 and the C12 had for a fraction of the $$$, yet sounded much better than the solid tube or the Audio Technica. The coolist part is you don't hurt the orginal solid state insides because you replace it with the new tube insides, thus retaining the orginal for use whever you want. Also... I'm compeled to state the obvious, ALL recordings are their own unique combination of circumstances. no two mics, players, instruments, rooms, mic-pre's, compressors, A/D's, storage formats, cables, or anything else you might through into the signal path, are alike! Therefore, the more you have of all the above, the more choices you'll have to dial in the perfect recording or confuse the hell out of yourself, you pick. Steve
Old 03-25-2003, 03:58 AM

yes, I'd like to hear from other people that have tried the retrofit. I personally like the midrange bump on the u87ai, but I'm very interested in this mod.