Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2001, 09:49 PM

Default No More TLM 103 for me!

We'll I've just spent about $60,000 building out my new NYC studio. It's on the 24th floor (Roof) of my building and I built my vocal booth in a 4X4 room which juts out the corner of the space.

Since the Sept. 11 disaster (relocation of radio stuff), It seems I now have an annoying RF hum problem when I use my Neumann TLM 103 mic.

No problem with my SM57 or a friends Audiotechnica mic.

Fletcher informed me that the problem is that this mic is transformerless.

I know that I can surround the room in copper mesh and ground it, but I've heard that can drain people electrically if left in that room for too long. And it seems like a PITA.

To make a long story a little longer, I think I need to replace this mic and I'm looking for suggestions.

Before you answer: In the past, I've worked extensively with Neumann U47, U67, M149, U87 and FET47's.

While these are all great mics, I've found that the Tube U47 was the only one of the group that was as versatile as my TLM103. Plus U47's all sound different and are quite pricey and touchy.

I'm looking for something I can buy new that would be versatile for young female voice and acoustic guitars. Price range of $1,000 - $4,000.

Please no Rode or AudioTechnica.

Fletcher recommended the Soundelux U99. Whadya think?

Gonna Miss my TLM.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2001, 03:14 AM

Default Re: No More TLM 103 for me!

Hi!

Perhaps look for Brauner VM 1 or the Brauner Valvet. Really great mics!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
And to me better than any Neumann.

Markus
Old 12-12-2001, 04:17 AM

New mic for vocals?

Try out DPA (former Brüel and Kjær) newest: 4041. But be aware: You can never go back from there!

And by the way it sounds phenomenal on ANYTHING!

Check out their website at

DPA microphones

It has lots of usefull tips and stuff!

Enjoy
Old 12-12-2001, 05:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Produceher:

"...surround the room in copper mesh and ground it, but I've heard that can drain people electrically if left in that room for too long."

Can you comment further on this, Produceher. It's not the point of your thread, I know, but this sounds quite odd.

John
Old 12-12-2001, 05:55 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Produceher:
versatile for young female voice<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I'd like more comments on this!!!!!

http://www.lawsonmicrophones.com/

Check these out I believe he gives you 10 days to see if you like it and they look cool and in the price range!!!
Old 12-12-2001, 08:16 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Produceher:

I know that I can surround the room in copper mesh and ground it, but I've heard that can drain people electrically if left in that room for too long. And it seems like a PITA.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is called a screen room and lots of my customers in the RF field use them all day long with no ill effects (then again these guys are all a little wierd)

Have you tried the KSM32 from shure? I have used it extensively for young female voice. You can hear a sample on my website if you listen to "A Picture Of You" ( please ignore the violin (client's daughter)). This was tracked via Focusrite Red1 straight into PT with a 15 year old female singer.
1-603-867-6843
Old 12-12-2001, 10:02 AM

Hey produceher:

I am with Markus on this one.

Dirk Brauner is building modern day Neumanns. Unlike Neumann.

Test drive a VM-1!

Best Regards
Old 12-12-2001, 10:44 AM

I have a Lawson L47MP as well as a TLM 103. One great advantage to the Lawson besides the price, is you can talk to the the owner, Gene Lawson directly. I had my first capsule changed at no extra charge to more closely emmulate a U47. A lot of microphones these days are about high frequency translation (air) and a tight bottom end. I still prefer a dark sound on a lot of applications and don't mind carving a little fat off the bottom when needed. If you are looking for the 47 thing, I would recommend the Lawson (talk to Gene about the sound you're looking for). If you want a microphone with more of the TLM 103 sizzle on the top, I've heard great things about Soundelux and of course the VM-1 (a few more dollars).

Lawson also just released a clone of the old ELAM 251 which might be better for the female vocal shine.

Good luck.

Griffon
Old 12-12-2001, 11:07 AM

I've had great results with the Manley Gold Reference. See if you can try one somewhere .. it's sounded great on everything I've tried it on ... mostly female vocalists.

David
Old 12-12-2001, 02:36 PM

I've been using a Microtech Gefell M-930 for an announcer's mic and have been very happy with it. It's small in stature and in price (around $750) Check it out.

Tom Couch
WDRV Chicago