Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Buy & Sell
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2024, 12:02 PM

Default WTB: DAD Mom

I just cannot bring myself to pay sticker price so I thought I'd ask around just in case.
Old 01-09-2024, 12:10 PM

Default Re: WTB: DAD Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
I just cannot bring myself to pay sticker price so I thought I'd ask around just in case.
Why DADMom? Search on here for the StreamDeck+ DADMom plugin. So much better and cheaper too!
Old 01-09-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
Why DADMom? Search on here for the StreamDeck+ DADMom plugin. So much better and cheaper too!
Can't recommend this enough! Super flexible!

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 01-13-2024, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post

I am looking into it but I don't see the DADMom plugin anywhere on this Streamdeck page:

https://apps.elgato.com/plugins
Old 01-13-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
I am looking into it but I don't see the DADMom plugin anywhere on this Streamdeck page:

https://apps.elgato.com/plugins
It's not. Look for Luke's thread directly on DUC. He gives a direct link there. And then from his package, you click on the ".streamdeckplugin" file and it adds it to StreamDeck.

It's been genius here at my place -- I think a year -- and with a few major post guys too that I helped set it up on including the "multi" MOM setup that Luke mentions in the release notes on how to do -- in essence a StreamDeck XL can appear as multiple MOM units so you have more buttons to assign. In our case, to assign solo/mute ability for an ATMOS setup. It's much better than a physical MOM if only because you can actually label and key colour buttons so it isn't a guess on the multi-layers.

DAD really needs to (A) put out a better MOM (with labels for the buttons) especially at their price and (B) expand the number of addressable options/buttons per layer. It's a bit ridiculously limited.

If you don't want the StreamDeckMOM solution, the other great device is Colin Broad's MOM hardware unit: TMC-1 (made in 2 form factors including one that mounts to S6 frames.)
In essence, everything is better than the actual MOM unit from DAD.

I actually have a "real" MOM too and it's the least desirable. The hardware volume knob feels good but the buttons suck. And with no feedback on the volume knob, the StreamDeck+ where you can actually see level -- verses counting leds on the real MOM -- is so much better even if it doesn't have the feel of the larger knob.
I'm really confused but DAD putting out such a shoddy controller at $1300. It's an insult to users of their hardware. (Even JL Cooper -- the worst of this kind of thing of high priced/low function -- wouldn't do this unit.)